Best additive for rarely driven 03 Subaru?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I inherited a 2003 Subaru Legacy wagon with about 37k miles on it that has not been driven much in the last 2 years. I'm planning on making this my daily driver and doing all the required 30k services (just did a conventional oil change). It's had 85 octane gas with ethanol sitting in the gas tank for many months or maybe even over a year. What gas addictive should I use to clean the fuel system in this situation?

I planning on falling up with some ethanol free Shell V-Power 91 octane premium and wondering which additive to add to that?

I use Chevron Techron complete fuel system cleaner a couple times per year primarily because BJ's is probably not getting a top tier fuel. Between that and a top tier fuel you should end up fine. Ideally try to get as much of that old fuel out of there first. You can always slowly mix in that 5-10 gallons in the near future.

If it starts runs drives now without hesitation then don't worry about it. Buy a tank or two of Vppower or Costco fuel. Done.

Additive wise, I usually use a bottle of either Techron fuel system cleaner or Redline SI-1 complete fuel system cleaner about every 8K miles or so. Those are both highly regarded on this site and in general. I'd say use a full bottle along with some high octane top tier gas for a tank or 2 and you and the car should both be in pretty good shape. The old "Italian tune up" might not be a terrible idea as well once you've run a couple tanks through it.

Last edited:
I do know that all the gas that has been used in it since my Dad bought it used in 2010 has been Top Tier brands of gas and it is running very smooth and good right now.

If you have room, first pump in 5 gallons of the high Octane Shell. This will boost the octane depleted gas you have in now. Then, after the tank is near empty, fill with the Shell again and add 2X dose of a PEA containing concentrated cleaner, like Techron or Regane.

That engine will literally run on kerosene.

Seriously best thing u can do for it is like others said..run some techron and top tier gas and put some miles on it. A mild italian tuneup if u will.

Run a couple of tanks on good quality gas and change your fuel filter.

I would take a peek at that timing belt before too long..may be in great shape but it has alot of years on it.

Does it still have the original tires?

Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
That engine will literally run on kerosene.

Seriously best thing u can do for it is like others said..run some techron and top tier gas and put some miles on it. A mild italian tuneup if u will.

Run a couple of tanks on good quality gas and change your fuel filter.

I would take a peek at that timing belt before too long..may be in great shape but it has alot of years on it.

Does it still have the original tires?

It's actually on it's 3rd set of tires. It was on it's second set when my Dad bought it in 2010 and he put new tires on it in 2012. I plan on having the timing belt checked when I take it in for the 30k service things I'm not doing myself.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back