Rotella T5 15w-40 syn blend vs Triple T 15w-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been running Rotella T6 in my Honda VTX 1300 for the last 20,000 miles or so and the UOAs show that it shears to a low 30 weight during the 4,000 OCI.
The wear numbers look great but I was just wondering if the syn blend T5 15w-40 or the Triple T 15w-40 might shear less.
The bike does have a shared sump.
I may want to give either one of these a shot in my Yamaha F115 outboard. I have been running the T6 in it as well and it shears to a low 30 weight in the outboard as well.
The UOAs show very little wear in the outboard as well.
Any thoughts on the new syn blend or the good ol' TTT?

thanks.

5W-40 oil have more viscosity improvers than 15w-40 oil so yes 5W=40 oils do sheer more. In theory syn blends could be formulated with lower amounts of viscosity improvers but it is a guess at this point.

The 5W-40 IS synthetic. It is not depending on as many VII's as the 15W-40 for spread. It's not T5 Syn-blend either ...

T6 is not made from the same base stocks as 15W-40 ...

And shearing down to a low 30 in 4,000 miles would be good in anyone's book. The only way you'll beat that is to run a mono-grade that can't shear at all ... I have been saying for quite a while now that Rotella T6 acts more like a 35 than a 40 in most applications. So going from a nominal 35 to a 31 in 4,000 miles is outstanding
smile.gif

You could run Rotella T1 40 HD or Delo 100 40 HD and never think about shear again. It does not get cold enough where you are to "need" a multi. And you'd have better upper cylinder wear to boot. But Honda's are not known for taking out the upper cylinder, so that's not critical in this application ...

Or, because motorcycles resemble aircraft engines for heat distribution, you could try AeroShell W15W-50
laugh.gif

Last edited:
I'm not offering Shell suggestions because I'm a fan boy. I'm offering them because your original post indicates you have access to Shell products ...

If it were my bike, I'd likely run Chevron or Castrol products. Oh wait a minute, I do do that
laugh.gif

Delo in bone stock bikes. Castrol RS in mod'd motors. Motul 300V in race motors
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Yes a 15w40 will be more resistant to shear than the T6 you have been using. I used both the T6 and the conventional 15-40 Rotella in my old Yamaha Virago and Suzuki GS550 when I had them. I found the bikes liked the conventional as it maintained better shift quality for a longer duration of time (because of shear resistance). I would give the other options a try and see how the bike likes it in terms of feel and wear numbers. One OCI won't hurt anything.

Do some reading in the motorcycle UOA (used oil analysis) section, you often see Rotella 15W40 mineral and 5W40 synthetic being tested.

From memory the Rotella 15W-40 shears less and appears the pick for a sheared sump motorcycle.

A mate runs Delo 400 15W-40 in his motorcycle (liquid cooled, shared sump, racing thumper) and loves it. Better than any of the synthetics he has so far tried.

I believe Silk from NZ (land of the long white cloud and shaky ground) runs Delvac MX 15W-40 in some of his bikes.

Glad to hear your doing OK Silk !! All the best to you and your family, and all those in NZ.

As I stated in another thread, I did a bunch of searches for UOA's on motorcycle and did not come up with anything - T6, T-6, Rotella, the lot. If you have a link point me there...

Are we talking about a shared sump situation ...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
As I stated in another thread, I did a bunch of searches for UOA's on motorcycle and did not come up with anything - T6, T-6, Rotella, the lot. If you have a link point me there...

Are we talking about a shared sump situation ...

You are not doing something right if you are not finding something with the search function. Go to Google and type in "UOA Rotella T6 Motorcycle" and you will get several results from BITOG as well as other sites.

Last edited:
Thanks mate,

And thanks for your UOA / VOA

I haven't studied all the above Rotella MC UOA in detail, just saying there are a lot out there, and more than I have listed.

My general feeling, from a casual look, is that the mineral 15W40 holds up to shear better than the synthetic 5W40 in the Rotella line.

Here is a UOA for Delo 400 LE 15W40 from a shared sump motorcycle. It's holding up quite nicely.
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3441411/

Thanks for the replies. If shearing to a low 30 weight isn't that big of an issue as long as the wear numbers look good I think I'll stick with the T6.
Or I may try the 15w-40 on the next oil change.

Anyone blend rotella t3 15w40 and rotella t6 5w40?
I'm running t3 in my bike right now. 2015 victory with a shared sump.

Originally Posted By: Ddieselsmoke

Stick with the straight T3. The addition of T6 will do very little good, but will make the oil less shear stable.

Originally Posted By: Ddieselsmoke

I do, only when its cold enough to warrant the thinner oil on start up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back