2008 accord 2.4 timing chain tensioner cover leak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Background on car. Now has 127,000miles
Uses about 1 quart every 7500 miles since new. Especially with high speed driving.
I noticed a very small amount of oil on lower right side of engine.
Not enough to get any drops on the driveway.
But obviously enough to get on the side of the engine/timing cover.
The only thing I can think of other than coincidence is that when the oil pump was replaced under warranty at 50,000 miles they didn't put enough hondabond on the cover?

there are 3 10mm bolts holding it on.
Can I just take the cover off, clean and reapply the FIPG/Hondabond?
Does anyone know if the oil level is at or above the inspection cover? Should I drain oil first?
Thanks in advance!

IMAG2291.jpg

IMAG2290.jpg

Before doing that I would clean the area real well and then go for about a 3 mile drive. Then look at it again. Could be a crank seal slinging as well.

If it is that then yea just remove and seal properly. Make sure to use some good stuff at least Ultra level or better RTV.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
sometimes you can just crank the bolts down a bit, goes away
Don't use a breaker bar
smile.gif

Lemme revive this old thread by saying I finally got around to resealing the cover.

I think the chump at dealer who changed the VTC awhile ago did a really sloppy job on the reseal.

You can see the corner of the cover that is behind the flywheel never got the original factory RTV completely removed, just kinda slathered the new on top of the old.

I understand why.

It is a major pain in the bum to get behind the flywheel. It is so tight back there and I have relatively small hands.

I used a small screwdriver and some Emery cloth/ sandpaper to rub behind the flywheel. Then cleaned with brake cleaner.

Honestly if I were to do this again I would take off the belt and remove the crank pulley.

IMG_20200317_174744.jpg

IMG_20200317_174810.jpg

IMG_20200317_190724.jpg

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
Is it holding ?

Temp was about 40-45 F and raining tuesday to wedneday in Chicago.
The engine was warmish when installed
It sat for about 20 hours before being driven.
Wife drove it to the grocery store yesterday, so far so good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back