Why is Hyundai warranty worthless?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hyundai appears to be very picky about getting your car serviced exclusively by them. If not, good luck with the warranty.

I wouldn't call any "free" warranty worthless, but I wouldn't base my purchase decision solely on it. My only personal experience with Hyundai was with a used 2008 Santa Fe GLS AWD I bought in 2009. It had 34K miles on it. I knew the b/b warranty was done at 36K miles and the P-train was done at 5yrs/60K being a subsequent owner. It was a great SUV in terms of ride, comfort, utility, traction, etc, but certain rough terrain or panic maneuvers left a bit to be desired. I got an outstanding deal on it given it was a rental and I was actually the 3rd owner. In terms of the warranty, I did start having issues at 62K miles that would have saved me some bucks had it still been under warranty. I did deal with the local Hyundai dealer parts counter and those folks were great and OEM parts weren't too crazy overpriced. I'd buy another Hyundai product, I just won't pay Honda or Toyota prices for one.

Last edited:
According to someone I knew that worked for a Kia/Hyundai group, the (10 yr./100K) warranty will be covered but some stealerships will go through your service records with a fine tooth comb to see if they can find a "timing belt" that hasn't been changed at the recommended interval or whatnot to see if they can get out of it. But of course you could battle them if said timing belt had nothing to do with any failure...

But their 5-yr./60,000 "bumper-to-bumper" warranty is a nice piece of mind...

Judging Hyundai quality needs to be set around the 2006 year. In 2006 they had a major change at the top and quality improved dramatically.

Based upon my participation on the Hyundai board the owners are just paranoid about warranty denial if they do not have the service done at a dealer and as scheduled in the manual. just paranoid about it compared to other owner's boards. either the dealers have scared them into having work done at the dealer or in fact, Hyundai is terrible about nit picking the owners to get a denial of warranty. Don't know which it is but honoring Hyundai warranties does seem to be an issue with a lot of customers.

Last edited:
I remember years ago when people rationalized buying Hyundai because of their unbeatable warranty. Those people made their decision solely or very heavily weighted by that warranty. Now what? Looks like it was bait. Leaving customers out to dry on the most pedantic and technical reasoning. They already got the boost in sales volume and the associated profits, now it's just like "pay to fix or go away". Nice.

It's amazing how corporations demand to be treated as humans, with the rights that go along with it (incorporation) but the consumer doesn't view the corporate body as another human, including trustworthiness, morality, apparent values (not advertized ones) and basic respect.

Another confusing effect of the corporate-consumer relationship is how the worst companies that "got caught" and subsequently "smartened up because they got exposed" are fan favorites for eventually succumbing to pressure and becoming average as big heros, doing great things that should not be ever criticized because they now match the industry average at best, and have a halo product or two now. (FRAM) Human, or more specifically, consumer behavior I find fascinating-- for entirely different reasons that market engineers.

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
Originally Posted By: bigjl
In my experience as a Hyundai tech, they're far from the best vehicle to buy, but their warranty is second to none here in Europe: 5 years unlimited mileage, including for things like shocks (excluding battery though)

Interestingly the KIa 7 Year warranty is limited to 100k.

The Hyundai and Kia Warrantys (Mainly Kia though) have a bad reputation in the UK, both manufacturers seem to attempt to get out of claims if the vehicle has been serviced outside the Main Dealer Network even though this is not allowed under EU Block Exemption Rules.

I must admit I took these claims with a pince of salt and put them down to sour grapes.

However.

My 14 Picantos first owner had the first Service done at a non Kia Garage, when I bought the vehicle and took it into my local Kia dealership for its second annual service (under 8k miles) the Service tech made a note that it had a non standard oil filter (not true it was a Mann filter properly specified for the vehicle, Mann Hummel is the manufacturer named on the OE Kia filters) and that it had a non standard battery, wrong again it had a properly specified battery but it just wasn't a Kia branded battery.

Now the only reason I can think off to put those statements on my service history is because Kia want to invalidate as Warrantys and the dealers are helping do this.

Its a pity as we had intended on buying Picantos for staff use and now we won't.

I had bought three Brand New cars from this dealership since 1999, a 99 Seat Toledo 1.9tdi, 04 WRX and 04 Legacy. All fully serviced by them.

So now they have lost my Business for good.

The most annoying thiing is that after being so pedantic regarding the non Kia branded filter and non Kia branded Battery they used 5w30 oil in the car, which is annoying as Kia specify 5w20 in the Oil Spec document on the Kia UK Website.

So in actual fact the only "non standard" part/fluid in the car is the oil that they have out in.

Well, the first 2 years are a LEGAL warranty, guaranteed by law. The next 3 years are contractual and require ALL services to be performed by a dealer. you go to another garage and you break the terms of the contract.

You found that information where exactly?

My best experience with a car was a 2001 Kia Rio with AM/FM and automatic splurge. That was when they smelled really bad as the ocean passage undercoating had to burn off. LOL The car went 10 years on the original batters, heck it was only 1500CC's. I did next to noting to that car other than drive it like a sane person. I sold it as it was getting rusty and that guy beat the daylights out of it for another two years. The seat was horrendously uncomfortable and bad for my posture but I loved that car. 13 inch tires dirt cheap and the originals of those went 70k... Kumho. That thing had a perfect alignment from the factory.

My 2006 Impala leaked, tranny slambanged, purge solenoid went bad, the thing ATE tires even after allignments. Had power and a nice bench-ish seat.... not much else.

I had a 2007 Sante Fe I stupidly got rid of because I thought the Yaris would be more economical.

It wasn't, because the jump in insurance more than made up for the lower fuel costs. So needless to say I'll be doing all of my research before buying something next time.

Point it, I really miss that Sante Fe, and I'll definitely be buying a Hyundai as my next vehicle. It was the second most reliable car I've ever owned (most obviously being the Yaris)

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
Judging Hyundai quality needs to be set around the 2006 year. In 2006 they had a major change at the top and quality improved dramatically.

Around that time the new models reduced the durability, but they sure started to look better, in my experience.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ

Around that time the new models reduced the durability, but they sure started to look better, in my experience.
My 2008 Accent is the most reliable car I have ever had.

The Elantra is the best-looking sedan on the road. Every time I see one it catches my eye.

Originally Posted By: veryHeavy
The Elantra is the best-looking sedan on the road.

Maybe in the econobox category.

In my experience as a Hyundai tech, they're far from the best vehicle to buy, but their warranty is second to none here in Europe: 5 years unlimited mileage, including for things like shocks (excluding battery though)

Interestingly the KIa 7 Year warranty is limited to 100k.

The Hyundai and Kia Warrantys (Mainly Kia though) have a bad reputation in the UK, both manufacturers seem to attempt to get out of claims if the vehicle has been serviced outside the Main Dealer Network even though this is not allowed under EU Block Exemption Rules.

I must admit I took these claims with a pince of salt and put them down to sour grapes.

However.

My 14 Picantos first owner had the first Service done at a non Kia Garage, when I bought the vehicle and took it into my local Kia dealership for its second annual service (under 8k miles) the Service tech made a note that it had a non standard oil filter (not true it was a Mann filter properly specified for the vehicle, Mann Hummel is the manufacturer named on the OE Kia filters) and that it had a non standard battery, wrong again it had a properly specified battery but it just wasn't a Kia branded battery.

Now the only reason I can think off to put those statements on my service history is because Kia want to invalidate as Warrantys and the dealers are helping do this.

Its a pity as we had intended on buying Picantos for staff use and now we won't.

I had bought three Brand New cars from this dealership since 1999, a 99 Seat Toledo 1.9tdi, 04 WRX and 04 Legacy. All fully serviced by them.

So now they have lost my Business for good.

The most annoying thiing is that after being so pedantic regarding the non Kia branded filter and non Kia branded Battery they used 5w30 oil in the car, which is annoying as Kia specify 5w20 in the Oil Spec document on the Kia UK Website.

So in actual fact the only "non standard" part/fluid in the car is the oil that they have out in.

Well, the first 2 years are a LEGAL warranty, guaranteed by law. The next 3 years are contractual and require ALL services to be performed by a dealer. you go to another garage and you break the terms of the contract.

You found that information where exactly?

in the sales contract

Originally Posted By: maximus
The Elantra is the best-looking sedan on the road.
Maybe in the econobox category.

I stand by my statement. I have seen BMWs, Mercedes, Lexuses, Ford Fusions..... but the one that makes me say, "What's that?" is the Elantra. I like how it appears to be moving even when standing still (fluidic sculpture). It's different from the other cookie-cutter sedans

A lot of people don't realize Hyundais 10 year/100k is for the power train only. And if only warranted if you show proof that it was serviced on time(which means dealer maintained, since they technically can call your own records [censored] if you do your own work).

Cars today can run 10 years issue free. Not saying the rest of the car will hold up, but atleast it will run and drive after 10 years. Don't buy a car solely based on the warranty. My dad brought a Nissan NV200(america's best truck warranty, new car 5 year/100k aka bumper to bumper). It's got the warranty but the sliding doors still don't work right after multiple visits with the dealership. Sometimes they just give you a long warranty to cover up the pos build quality/design.

The Elantra is the best-looking sedan on the road. Every time I see one it catches my eye.

Among other appliance cars, maybe.
Rented one recently, not sure there is a difference driving that or microwave oven.

Ding ding ding!! We have a winner. Avacado hit the nail on the head. To add, the powertrain warranty only covers internal engine and transmission parts and seals, basically anything that touches oil. This is the rotating assembly, valves, oil pump etc. These parts that are the least likely to fail so of course they offer a longer warranty on them. It doesn't cover any accessories or support systems or parts, like fuel, ignition, charging system or cooling and a/c systems.

What does all this mean? It means Hyundai's "America's Best Warranty" is nothing more than a clever marketing gimmick. It's not really any better than warranties offered by other makers. I invite anyone to challenge me on this and we can further discuss my first hand experiences with this company.

I had to fight tooth and nail to get my leaky oil pan resealed on my Sonata when it only had 63k on the clock.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back