'03 MB C230 K Blown Head Gasket Temp Repair

Status
Not open for further replies.
1.8L Mercedes 2003 C230 Kompressor. 200,000 miles. [color:#3333FF][/color]
Driving down highway, radiator hose blew off (along firewall connecting to heater hose change over valve). Just prior I did have a small coolant leak from above transmission and below engine block that was not yet identified. That is where it dripped anyway.
-I need recommendations for top aftermarket products successful in temporarily making this repair, sealing gasket void so I can drive again to proper repair shop and leave it there.
I was told that the one procedure entailed draining coolant, water filled into circulating system, chemical added directions followed, drain, and refill.
**-At the same time the engine over heated, oil cap has milky material never seen before. All ignition coils failed by over heating and cracking up, plugs look overheated, waterpump leaks out antifreeze most upon shut down of car.
-Please give me a product to seal out coolant successful in past, best product at any price.
*~* My list of parts right now to get the car running again and move it from where it broke down-
-Four ignition coils
-Four iridium plugs NGK
-Distilled water
-Coolant
-Oil and oil filter
-New waterpump
-Chemical head gasket repair kit

~Coolant used in car is the green, longlife.
~oil used in car has only been Mobil1 0W-40.
Thanks. Need to purchase product for head gasket today. God Bless.
-Robb
Thanks Again.

Originally Posted By: SVTCobra
Your best bet is to have the car towed to your mechanic of choice and let them diagnose what the problem is.
+1 No amount of "magic in a can" is going to fix an overheat like this one. MBs are pretty stout cars, how did this happen?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SVTCobra
Your best bet is to have the car towed to your mechanic of choice and let them diagnose what the problem is.

+2 I wouldn't mess around snake oil for something like that. Bring it to somebody you trust and have it diagnosed.

Sounds seriously fried you might have massive issues. Have it towed to repair shop. Let them give you a quote.

It may be too expensive to fix (cheaper to buy a different one)

Thank You.
The overheating occurred when the "heater change/over hose along firewall blew off and lost antifreeze.
-I need a temporary fix with one of these products to get it running again short term and I am selling it immediately as a car with blown head gasket.
-Products found during Google search were :
K&W Fiber Lock
Blue Devil Head Gasket Sealer
Steel Seal

Do not put that junk in.

It will make your car lose value, or what's left of it. That is going to crud up the radiator, coolant passages and heater core.

DO NOT PUT THAT STUFF IN

If you're selling the car with a blown head gasket, tow it to your house and sell it with a blown head gasket.

I have purchased a car with a blown head gasket before, but I wouldn't touch a car full of quick-fix garbage with a 10 foot pole.

Tow the car to where you need it to be for repair or sale.

Im sorry to say but it would be a good idea not to drive this car at all .. It should be towed anytime there is anti freeze in the oil it could destroy the bearings.. Tow it to a trusted engine shop if there is a good one in your area.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Do not put that junk in.

It will make your car lose value, or what's left of it. That is going to crud up the radiator, coolant passages and heater core.

DO NOT PUT THAT STUFF IN

I agree. Have it towed.

I dont see you changing the waterpump and all that other stuff where it is broke down. If so then u dont need a mechanic..u are one!

Someone is going to have to do a coolant pressure test at some point to see if you did blow a head gasket..

First thing i would do is pull the oil drain plug and if water comes out first...stop.

Either set aside $4K or so for a repair or sell it as is/where is.

I've never had good luck with the man in a can quick fix elixirs. Either get the engine repaired correctly or sell the car as is. Trying to do a band aid repair is a waste of money and there is also the good possibility of doing more damage from using the product incorrectly.

If it got so hot that you actually fried the ignition coils, I'd say this bad boy is done.
Put a fork in it.
Unless this car has some special value to you, take the plates off and let a yard have it.
An '03 C230 with 200K has no market value to begin with.
You could buy another similar Mercedes for much less money than it would take to fix this one.

I agree with the other posters- do not use those products. Maybe you can get $1000 for it... but sell it where it sits. The buyer can turn the motor over by hand at least. I see private party value with no serious issues as ~$2200-

Thank You for your knowledge, all of you.
LISTEN REAL QUICK TO MY SITUATION:
In the past 12 weeks:
-Sold My Mustang Cobra & Coupe with tens of thousands in it to catch up with bills.
-My wife died.
-My mum is in hospice care and will be passing on to "Going Home" in heaven.
-Lost my high paying job due to days missed with death investigation, Moms illness.
-Found eviction notice on door.
-I have NO funds to eat or pay bills.
So, I have a family & we are hungry, need to keep lights on, funds to carry me to job interviews while borrowing sisters car temporally.
~**~
So, I need money. Was making great 6 figure salary. Funds depleted with funeral and paying medical care for my Mom.
There are head gasket chemicals without metals to clog passage ways.
-Blue Devil (Several versions Sold)
-Steel Seal
-K&W Nano seal
Just looking for best option, please.
Thank You for all of your help.

Last edited:
I guess it kindda makes good sense, huh?
-In need funds, car goes to action.From running good and strong to auction should hope painless.

Yup. The additive quick fix junk will make you need to buy a motor, plus radiator, heater core and god knows what else instead of a head gasket repair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back