Lexus self healing paint question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been reading the owner's manual for my 2016 Lexus IS 300. I came across this which I have copied verbatim.
-Self-restoring coat
The vehicle body has a self-restoring coating that is resistant to small surface scratches
caused in a car wash etc.
-The coating lasts for 5 to 8 years from when the vehicle is delivered from the plant.
-The restoration time differs depending on the depth of the scratch and outside temperature.
-The restoration time may become shorter when the coating is warmed by applying
warm water.
-Deep scratches caused by keys, coins, etc. cannot be restored.
-Do not use wax that contain abrasives.

Any recommendations for waxes that would not harm this finish?

I have been using Zaino Z5 pro for years which is a non-abrasive polish.

Last edited:
Interesting. Never heard of this self healing paint before. Personally I would stay away from anything with a polishing quality. Stick with a carnauba or sealant w/o any polishing.

A quick read suggests that the clear coat (only!) is flexible and resilient. It flows back to its original form if temporarily creased. It doesn't do anything useful if it's scratched rather than creased. A light door ding might fade, but a hard one is still permanent.

Polishing the distorted coating before it has a chance to flex back will result in grooves appearing later.

From my limited ability to research this, it appears this coating is applied on top of the conventional clear coat.

Originally Posted By: MajorCavalry
-Do not use wax that contain abrasives.

Any recommendations for waxes that would not harm this finish?

I have been using Zaino Z5 pro for years which is a non-abrasive polish.

Infiniti had self healing paint late 00's. They stopped using it which was interesting to me. I thought at 1st that perhaps it's not really worth it to them. However now, that it came back, more likely their contracted ended with whatever company they were working with and now Lexus is using it.

There's only one line to concern yourself with which is that.... wax no abrasives. Meaning, no harsh abrasives with a machine for the average joe. So if you used Zaino before and still have some left, use it up. There are many other waxes these days OTC that match or exceed Zaino. I usually avoid wax/sealant recommendations since truly there is NOT ONE WAX for all cars.

Regardless, the non abrasive OTC waxes I'd recommend for your situation would be Meguiars #26. If your Lexus lives out on the sun. Do #7 (a conditioning glaze) followed by #26. Again, there are other great waxes, but those are what I used that would fit your Lexus.

So is it the paint, the clear, or a sealant on top of that, which self-heals? I'd guess the third.

If the car is pristine, and you can get away without compounding, I'd try cquartzuk on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back