USGS: 16 Trillion cu-ft of Natural Gas in Texas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
The Wolfcamp shale in the Midland Basin portion of Texas’ Permian Basin province contains an estimated mean of 20 billion barrels of oil, 16 trillion cubic feet of associated natural gas, and 1.6 billion barrels of natural gas liquids, according to an assessment by the US Geological Survey. This estimate is for continuous (unconventional) oil, and consists of undiscovered, technically recoverable resources.

The estimate of continuous oil in the Midland Basin Wolfcamp shale assessment is nearly three times larger than that of the 2013 USGS Bakken-Three Forks resource assessment, making this the largest estimated continuous oil accumulation that USGS has assessed in the United States to date.

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2016/11/20161116-wolfcamp.html

Every day they discover (or decide to disclose) new caches of domestic oil and gas. Who remembers the 'peak oil' myth and what that red-herring was used for?
lol.gif

Here we go. The Left will want to keep this carbon in the ground. The Right will want cheap resources and energy independence. The Russians will not be happy about another large find competing with their main export commodity, and neither will the Saudi's. And with the Iranian's ramping up production, it will only get messier.

So what will this do for the new White House Team
laugh.gif

And for those that think this is new, when I was in college in the 1970's in geology, it was well known that we had tremendous shale resources. Enough to feed this economy into the distant future. But recovery was not well enough developed to get it out cheap ...

The same holds for many Northern Hemisphere oil producing areas. If the Greens think we can reduce carbon production, they are living in a dream world. Some economies will not reduce production for political or economic reasons (including maybe ours...).

And, you'all know that that carbon was free in the atmosphere in the past - right? So a few *C might be bad for us, but it will just create a new world for whoever/whatever succeeds us
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Energy is kind of useful. Maybe, if they drill today there will be enough money made tomorrow so that other sources of energy can be explored and the free market can pick the best deals. All the government has to do is get out of the way.

Originally Posted By: PeterPolyol
Every day they discover (or decide to disclose) new caches of domestic oil and gas. Who remembers the 'peak oil' myth and what that red-herring was used for?
lol.gif

More so is those that fell for the ruse. We were going to run out of gas in the 1970s.

I'm quite fond of the natural gas powered UPS trucks. I never get diesel exhaust fumes through my air vents when they're in front.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I'm quite fond of the natural gas powered UPS trucks. I never get diesel exhaust fumes through my air vents when they're in front.

Absolutely! It's a great fuel for vehicles, proven over decades of fleet use.

It's funny that back in the '70's when we had the oil embargo, the Government had us all believing that we "Had" to buy our oil and gas from overseas. Nowadays, they're finding it everywhere.,,,

There's a good book by Peter Huber called "The Bottomless Well". Its subtitle is "The Twilight of Fuel, the Virtue of Waste, and Why We'll Never Run Out Of Energy".

He really speaks against the "lethargist" movement (using less fuel by actually doing less work), and champions the notion that "efficiency" causes us to use more energy, and not less. It's not a new concept, or his concept, but he weaves it into and applies it to the 'peak oil' myth/scare pretty well.

It's a great read.

https://www.amazon.com/Bottomless-Well-Twilight-Virtue-Energy/dp/046503117X

If you were behind me, you also would not get diesel exhaust fumes in your air vents. DPF/SCR systems stop that--IF they are left in place and are functional.

Somebody needs to convince all the coal rolling bros that LNG is SUPER COOL...so many of those dudes are wicked obnoxious!!!

are liquid propane and natural gas interchangeable? ie can you run on either or once you have it set up?

i wonder how many miles per 100 pound bottle of gas could be achieved? that would be what 25 gallons gas per 100 pound bottle?

the gas seems to be more useful to large vehicles such as buses or semi tractor trailers as they could fit larger tanks needed.

cooling the gas makes for easier bulk transport, but costlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back