Oil Consumption on Honda J37 Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ZebRuaj
Check out any Honda/Acura car forums and you'll find a lot of angry owners with the J series motor. There were quite a few owners of the last gen TL with the J37 fighting Acura to get some sort of acknowledgement and support for oil consumption. Wonder if this will make its way over to the TL.

A guy on here had issues with his TL and recently traded it in on something else.

Originally Posted By: MajorCavalry
Sad to say, but traded in the 2012 TL. Loved this car, but it didn't love me back.

I have been a Honda person for over 20 years. 95 Civic, 2000 TL, 2008 Accord v6, and now the 12 TL SHAWD.
I fortunately did not suffer the transmission problems of the 2000 TL or the VCM issues of the 2008 Accord. Seems my good karma ran out on the 12 TL. The engine developed the oil consumption issue resolved with a new block and valve guide seals. The prop shaft was replaced, and the transmission software updated to protect the torque converter. So far, so good. All replaced under warranty and working fine.

Then the final straw. Prop shaft noise seemed to return. Further diagnosis revealed the rear differential was failing. The diff fluid was replaced faithfully every 20K, long before the motor minder recommended. I do not drive under severe conditions. Car was 7K over the warranty. Since almost every component of the drive train had failed, I contacted Acura corporate for some "good will". No dice, over 5k for repairs.

The car car looks and drives like a new car. But I just can't trust this car anymore and have lost faith in Honda products. Really a shame.

FWIW, I have both Honda J35 w/VCM ('06 Odyssey) and Acura J37 ('11 MDX).

I still own the '06 Honda Odyssey Touring, it is was one of the first model that received a VCM treatment. For 10 years, I don't encounter any issue with VCM that are widespread reported. I change the oil whenever the computer tells me to, and the van doesn't burn any oil. The VCM activation/de-activation works flawlessly. This might be the different as to why my J35 w/VCM works perfectly.

1. The first OCI, Honda dealer was adamantly refused to put in synthetic oil even I adamantly requested it. The guy said synthetic doesn't work well with this particular engine.
27.gif
However, I switched to synthetic after 50K, and it still works perfectly.

2. Against the Owner Manual, I drove 75-80 mph to Montreal from Boston after 100mi out the dealer.

For the '11 MDX (J37), I bought it pre-owned at 50K miles. First two OCIs, I was getting 0.25quart/5000mi with the original PU 5w20. I started using PUPPP 5w20, for the first 2500mi the car didn't burn any oil but lost 3/4 quart 500mi later. It was like this for a few OCI. Then it got progressively worsen to 1q/1200mi with 5w20 PUPPP. I switched to 5w30 QSUD, I get about 1q/2000mi.

Some rare 2010-13 MDX owners reported that they don't lose any oil at all.

Maybe initial engine breaking is the differentiator?

Originally Posted By: nZone
2. Against the Owner Manual, I drove 75-80 mph to Montreal from Boston after 100mi out the dealer.

Maybe initial engine breaking is the differentiator?

I would like to thinks so. If someone is really gentle during break in and one bank of cylinders gets deactivated often, then it is a natural conclusion that the two banks will break in differently.

Your 75-80mph trip right from the get go pretty much ensured that all 6 cylinders were firing.

The problem with j35 engines is caused by the VCM system. Only cylinders 1-4 burn oil these are turned off by VCM system.
VCM allows the a valve to remain open and releases compression in those cylinders. When there is no pressure on the rings they rotate toward the outside of cylinder and all begin to line up. Oil and compression are pushed through the lined up rings.
Honda is doing a ton of these and problem returns again. I've seen a few repaired more than once.

K24s burn oil from stuck rings. Replacing pistons and rings in these.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back