F1 - 2016 Brazilian Grand Prix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: billt460
I'm getting to be the same way. These races are usually turning into 1-1/2 hours of follow the leader.

I've started to check a couple older races on Youtube (don't let Bernie read this or they'll be gone, once he figures out what Youtube is), to see if I've been viewing the past with rose tinted glasses. I think we all have. Things aren't as good as I remember.

I found a nice example in the 1994 European Grand Prix. It was so much like today, it wasn't even funny. Passing was difficult. They couldn't follow each other closely because of wrecking the tires. Fuel loads and consumption were very important. Tires had limited life (lots of three stop strategies). Pit stops were exceedingly quick, even with refuelling. Heck, to make it even sound more like last year, David Coulthard was doing some analysis, since Williams had benched him for a few races in favour of Mansell. Someone spoke to Martin Brundle on the grid, instead of him doing a grid walk talking to someone else.

The differences were that there was no team radio and we didn't have drivers trying to run each other off track while defending. There was lots of follow the leader, aside from Schumacher and Hill, and a couple other things in the mix.

Originally Posted By: gofast182
Yeah, that drive by Verstappen will literally be talked about for years among F1 fans. It was one for the ages. I was very critical of how he entered F1 but he has truly impressed me this year with his driving, attitude, and overall maturity. I contrast that to veterans who have earned their place but now seem to whine and complain at every little thing. I don't want to hear any more sarcastic complaints from Jenson Button on the radio (actually yelled at the TV yesterday because he's doing so much of it lately), I want drivers who relish being there, get on with it, and take some risks.

You could just say it was the new tires except Ricciardo had the same new tires on and got left in the mist... Max made it look so easy. I do wonder if he went for more of a rain setup than Ricciardo but I'm sure a few of the guys he was passing also gambled on a rain setup too.

Originally Posted By: Garak
I'm getting to be the same way. These races are usually turning into 1-1/2 hours of follow the leader.

I've started to check a couple older races on Youtube (don't let Bernie read this or they'll be gone, once he figures out what Youtube is), to see if I've been viewing the past with rose tinted glasses. I think we all have. Things aren't as good as I remember.

Yes I may be viewing with those rose colored glasses, but I haven't been listening with rose colored ears.
Today's engine formula sounds terrible compared to the past.
The direction F1 is headed I would not be surprised if they didn't start running sound tubes with recorded engine noise.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Reggaemon
Originally Posted By: Garak

Yes I may be viewing with those rose colored glasses, but I haven't been listening with rose colored ears.
Today's engine formula sounds terrible compared to the past.
The direction F1 is headed I would not be surprised if they didn't start running sound tubes with recorded engine noise.

I'm no fan of the current engine sound either, but they do put out alot of torque. Watching old clips of the 2.4L V8's, you can see how early on exit they could go WO and wait for the rpms and power to build, whereas a new engine needs alot more throttle control.

Originally Posted By: Reggaemon

In many of the supposed glory days, I was watching on a small TV with a monaural 1.5 W speaker, so I wasn't exactly getting the immersive experience, either. High definition video and 5.1 and better sound do improve the experience. Just looking back at some of the old clips, how cameras would get all wonky thanks to electrical interference or entering the Monaco tunnel, the poor information we get compared to today on gaps and tire choices and number of pit stops, and so forth, reminds me of how far we've come.

In fairness to Bernie, he did recognize those weaknesses, but Bernie-Vision was way ahead of its time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back