2012 Ford Fusion 3.0L engine ticking (video)

Status
Not open for further replies.
so got a new to us 2012 fusion 3.0 with 70k miles about a month back. changed the oil a few days ago and after i changed the oil i noticed it was ticking. Now, it very well could have been ticking before i changed it. i only popped the hood at the dealership to check the fluids and once after that to re-check the fluids. So, i don't know if it was from before or after the oil change. can't hear it very well at all with the hood closed unless you pay attention but can really hear it with the hood open. hard to pinpoint where exactly it's coming from. was getting ready to go to work when i took the video. everything else seems fine, no fluid loss from anything, car has plenty of power and runs smooth. no issues other than the ticking. Are these cars known for something like this? any ideas?

Note: the noise seems incredibly loud in the video, that it my phone picking up a lot of sound.. didn't think it would record that loud on my phone. if you listen close you here a distinct "Tick" among all the chatter and noise, that is the noise i'm referring to. if it's difficult for some with all the background noise i'll try to take a video from further away and see if that helps. thanks in advance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qr1JIv52COo&feature=youtu.be

The loudest sound I hear seems like timing chain rattle to me. That would be unusual on this engine unless it were neglected. I hear too many noises to make an educated guess. An audible timing chain noise is normal on these engines, my Mazda Tribute w/ the 3.0 (the older one w/out VVT) you can hear it clearly, but it's not so loud as to be a concern. I think the plastic valve cover does a poor job of masking the noise. I hear injector tick in the video as well.

Couldn't really tell anything from the vid; just sounded like a cold engine. I did hear a whining noise from perhaps an accessory item...?

yeah it sounds alot louder and is picking up a bunch of residual noise as well.. gonna try for a more clear video tomorrow. there is only one noise to hear when you hear it in person..this is also on a warm engine

the engine is somewhat warm in this engine. checked the noise after the wife got home today when it was at temp and still did it. are injectors just loud in some cars?

On next oil change just go with Castrol 0w30/0w40. If that masks the noise - then it was most likely from stretched chain or hydraulic lifters. If the noise is still there - probably injectors. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but doesn't this engine still have port injection? If so, then there is absolutely no reason for injectors to be so loud...

That is Ford's Famous Fuel Injector Tick (TM). Enjoy your Fusion
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Ethan1
That is Ford's Famous Fuel Injector Tick (TM). Enjoy your Fusion
smile.gif

my step dad has the same car and no tick?

if it is an injector, is it supposed to be that loud?

If you're worried, take it to the dealer. Any service writer at a Ford dealer can identify injector tick right in the service lane.

could this be an oil or filter issue? the car had some off brand filter on it when i did the change... Pro-tec or something or the other (i THINK it was pro something) so i'm guessing it was changed at a shop the previous owner took it to. maybe the car has never seen 5-20?

Sounds like my wife's Kia Rio. Solid tappets, no hydraulic lifters. Also direct injected as far as I know. (I didn't know fuel injectors ticked loudly.) Honestly doesn't sound like anything to be concerned about to me, just a motor running. Switch to M1 5w-30 or 10w-30 and see if it quiets down any.

Sounds exactly like every Fusion I've heard. Sounds normal and healthy to me. Maybe what you're hearing can't be picked up by your recorder?

OK so I just got home from work, let her car warm up a couple minutes and grabbed a wood handle. Checked the front and back valve covers, down in between, intake, cylinder head, and when I checked the fuel rail it was much more pronounced in my ear.... took a quick video with the speaker sitting on the handle and touched a few spots. If you listen close (keep in mind the speaker of my phone was on the handle) when I touch the fuel rail the clatter is much more pronounced through the phone. Kinda hard to hear with the rest of the noise but take a listen and let me know what you think. Safe to say just a noisy injector?

https://youtu.be/YRVFBya1vU8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back