Raleigh Bicycles Corporate Discount

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dad had a dark green Raleigh folding bike that he used to keep in his trunk, said he bought it to ride home in case his car broke down...not sure if he ever used it for that.
It was a 3 speed with itty bitty wheels and must have weighed at least 40 pounds. We had a lot of fun messing around on that thing...also had a killer scooter called a Puki that had inflatable tires and would just roll forever. Dad loved to visit Salvation Army and Goodwill stores and brought home lots of interesting stuff...many of my toys came from places like that.
There was a period about 10-15 years ago when I was road biking at lunchtime with coworkers at least 3 times a week in good weather and one of our group bought a Raleigh aluminum bike. It was a quality machine with good components for its price level, but the rest of us rode steel or carbon and that aluminum frame really punished him on the crummy roads around here. My Bianchi probably hasn't moved in 2 years now, I kept riding hard for about 5 years after that group broke up and then slowly faded away to only riding my mountain and hybrid bikes once in a while. That road bike is pretty useless around my house, the only decent route for me includes a lot of dirt roads.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
My dad had a dark green Raleigh folding bike that he used to keep in his trunk, said he bought it to ride home in case his car broke down...not sure if he ever used it for that.
It was a 3 speed with itty bitty wheels and must have weighed at least 40 pounds. We had a lot of fun messing around on that thing...also had a killer scooter called a Puki that had inflatable tires and would just roll forever. Dad loved to visit Salvation Army and Goodwill stores and brought home lots of interesting stuff...many of my toys came from places like that.
There was a period about 10-15 years ago when I was road biking at lunchtime with coworkers at least 3 times a week in good weather and one of our group bought a Raleigh aluminum bike. It was a quality machine with good components for its price level, but the rest of us rode steel or carbon and that aluminum frame really punished him on the crummy roads around here. My Bianchi probably hasn't moved in 2 years now, I kept riding hard for about 5 years after that group broke up and then slowly faded away to only riding my mountain and hybrid bikes once in a while. That road bike is pretty useless around my house, the only decent route for me includes a lot of dirt roads.

What tire size? I manage ok with 25mm tires on hardpack dirt roads. I get sad pretty quick on soft dirt roads, but I've taken my bike (albeit a triple) places it should never have gone. My wife has a bike with 23mm tires; I rode it in the driveway once and immediately realized, she wasn't kidding, the thing was scary in dirt. Perhaps geometry has some (lots?) of play in that too, as my road bike is more of a touring bike, slow(er) responding steering, longer wheelbase.

Originally Posted By: supton

What tire size? I manage ok with 25mm tires on hardpack dirt roads. I get sad pretty quick on soft dirt roads, but I've taken my bike (albeit a triple) places it should never have gone. My wife has a bike with 23mm tires; I rode it in the driveway once and immediately realized, she wasn't kidding, the thing was scary in dirt. Perhaps geometry has some (lots?) of play in that too, as my road bike is more of a touring bike, slow(er) responding steering, longer wheelbase.

I'd have to look, they were not insanely thin like the tires one of the triathletes in my group used...I thought those looked like long earthworms stretched over his rims. I never switched down from the size that came with the bike, although I did change the tires at least once.
These roads generally get a good grading once a year and then are in decent shape for about two weeks after that...usually they are washboarded like crazy but with really soft shoulders. The busiest road is about 1.5 cars wide and most people drive right down the middle, so getting on the shoulder can be essential for bikers to stay alive. I definitely would not want to be clipped in riding up there...they are also steep enough in sections that my double ringed crew cursed me for taking them up the short paved section of the main road to my neighborhood (turns to dirt just past us).
So, there are a bunch of reasons I don't take my double ring road bike up there...I don't mind braving them on my triple ring, short-geared hybrid bike.

Yeah, I've started getting leery of the road I live on, couple miles from me it gets a great shoulder; but I've all but been run off a few times by vehicles, as there is no shoulder next to my house. And the road edge can be very bad. Good roads are hard to find.

The folding bikes were usually 16 x 1.5 (38mm)tires. Fun to mess around on, not so much to try to ride anywhere.

There are "gravel bikes" now, a road style bike with wider tires with some tread. Lots of different options from what we rode 15 years ago.

Originally Posted By: supton
Yeah, I've started getting leery of the road I live on, couple miles from me it gets a great shoulder; but I've all but been run off a few times by vehicles, as there is no shoulder next to my house. And the road edge can be very bad. Good roads are hard to find.

I would have biked to work when it was close to home, but the only workable route would have involved being on a busy road with no shoulder for large swaths and some cars going up to 60mph if they had the chance...I respect the right of people to bike where they want, but you'd have to have a death wish to ride on that road in traffic and it is very difficult to deal with bikers on it in a safe way. I'll come around a curve and find bikers going up a steep hill at 5mph with a [censored] tailgating me and oncoming traffic...it's nerve wracking. The people who insist on riding side by side on this road need to be taken to the nearest mental health facility...

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
The folding bikes were usually 16 x 1.5 (38mm)tires. Fun to mess around on, not so much to try to ride anywhere.

There are "gravel bikes" now, a road style bike with wider tires with some tread. Lots of different options from what we rode 15 years ago.

The snow bikes with the super fat tires are actually getting very popular in the mountains in summertime. They look like fun!!

Thanks for the link.

We bought our 11 year old daughter a Raleigh earlier this year, her first LBS bike. I think we paid $300 for it. I'm impressed with the quality of the bike for the price. The components themselves certainly are not top-shelf (Shimano twist shifters, Tourney derailleurs, etc), but I find the quality of the frame welds and paint finish to be very good. All the weld beads are very consistent with no slag drips anywhere (as you sometimes see with cheaper big box bikes). The paint is a deep metallic green with nice screen-printed graphics (no stickers). There seems to be a clear coat over everything. The wheels and seat post all have a quick release and the quality of them seems to be good. The saddle is a Selle made in Italy. I think the rims are basic Weinmann or something similar.

Again, a basic bike, but I think a great value when you compare it to a $200 Schwinn at Target. For just $100 more, you get a lot more bike.

I was looking to get a hybrid for me this summer. Until I stumbled on a great deal on a Trek Verve 3 on Craigslist, a new or nice used Raleigh was on my radar, just because of how impressed I was with the value of the Raleigh Alysa we bought our daughter.

I really should pay attention to the posting dates on these threads. Too bad the Corporate code shown in the OP link is now dead. How dare they not keep it current for months at a time.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back