Air Impact Wrench

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Kobalt air compressor which I really like and would like to get a Kobalt Air Impact Wrench for Christmas. Should I ask for a 1/2" or 3/8" and why?

Don't know if 3/8 will handle wheel removal but can do most other work. A right angle 3/8 air ratchet is very handy for lot of under the hood work as one can break free the bolt or nut then air ratchet out. I ended up with one for tackling Ford 7.3 water pumps that had 14 bolts. Not to hard on the budget either.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
For an Air Impact Wrench I'd go 1/2".

+2, and I'd want one rated with 450 ft lbs or more of force. How many ft lbs does the cobalt have?

You have to be very careful tightening with impact. I usually tighten by hand, except for lug nuts. With those I go very lightly (just snug) on lowest setting and finish with torque wrench. All my cars are 88 ft/lb so not much.

I have a Harbor Freight 1/2 inch earthquake gun that was in my automotive garage for 3 years then went to work on my small fleet of dump trucks.. im guessing its around 6 yrs old and still does whatever i ask of it.

Get one of the compact 1/2" impacts. Most of those are 500+ ft/lbs, which is plenty enough. They're also light and get into places that a regular one won't. I have a Husky H4435 compact impact on order. Those are $40-60 all day long on Ebay.

Extensions always reduce the impact force generated on the bolt by absorbing some of the impact force.
The heavier walled the socket and the thicker the extension the more force is exerted on the fastener. I always use the thickest socket space permits, the difference is amazing, I don't own a 3/8 air impact, just a cordless and it gets used mostly on body bolts.
To demonstrate, this is a special thicker socket for Honda crank bolts, it works with the same gun that when fitted with a normal impact socket wouldn't remove the bolt.

https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-77080-Harmonic-Balancer-Socket/dp/B00RGNCV1U

Originally Posted By: Rand
also important for max force is to either use a 1/2" air hose or short 3/8" air hose with high flow fittings on both ends.

An example is
https://www.amazon.com/Milton-S-217-Style-Coupler-Plug/dp/B001O2ZGQ6

I know someone who had a marginal impact wrench with an amazing compressor at 110psi(regulated) it wouldnt remove lugnuts with his 3/8" diameter 100ft hose run and cheap HF grade quick connectors.

I used a small pony tank(converted aluminum propane tank) close to project when I wrenched on ag equipment. Big improvement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back