2008 Accord 2.4 Auto Amsoil ATF Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quite frankly, I would not put into the public domain an analysis showing a non-spec fluid while under warranty.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Quite frankly, I would not put into the public domain an analysis showing a non-spec fluid while under warranty.

The car has 120K+ miles, far out of warranty. Thanks for reminding me I need to send in another sample for analysis. But I'm going to use 50/50 Amsoil fuel efficient and regular for an approx 6.8-7.0 cst

Last edited:
I just got off the phone with Amsoil tech support.
They said there has NOT been a reformulation of the regular Amsoil ATF since the fuel efficient line came out.
So I guess I'm sticking with the regular stuff.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
Considering the amsoil fuel efficient ATF for my next change.

Older amsoil formula atf was about a 6.8cst@100c
New fuel efficient atf is 5.9cst
Current regular atf is 7.5cst
Honda z1 was 7.0cst
Honda dw1 is 6.8cst

Hmm now I'm thinking 1 quart regular with the rest fuel efficient... For a lower 6.X cst@100 visc

The newer Amsoil ATL has the improved DexronVI-type formulation which higher stability FM's and immproved oxidation inhibitors.

1.0 cSt should not make any difference in performance.

I just sent off another ATF UOA at 127080 miles.
Refilled with 3 quarts of Amsoil Signature Series ATF, red cap, non fuel efficient.
Old stuff smelled good Like an armpit.
Pics of the drain plug, looks like it always does.
IMAG2293.jpg

IMAG2294.jpg

Blackstone's comment on the most recent universal averages.
"Universal averages are based on Honda automatic transmissions, and they show typical wear after about 22,600 miles of oil use. They aren't specific to the oil type because people use different oils in their transmissions. The oil type doesn't correlate to the amount of metal we find, so universal averages are specific to the type of transmission rather than the oil type."
So basically the average they give is not of Honda Z1 or DW1 but a combo of all fluids that came from a Honda transmission.

Maybe my wife's multiple under 5 mile freezing trips have contributed to the increased copper?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Brybo86
Considering the amsoil fuel efficient ATF for my next change.

Older amsoil formula atf was about a 6.8cst@100c
New fuel efficient atf is 5.9cst
Current regular atf is 7.5cst
Honda z1 was 7.0cst
Honda dw1 is 6.8cst

Hmm now I'm thinking 1 quart regular with the rest fuel efficient... For a lower 6.X cst@100 visc

No need to mix since the LV ATF is shear stable.

This is the latest report for my 2008 Accord Running Amsoil SS ATF red cap, the old formula with higher viscosity since approx 34k miles.
Copper is a bit higher. Not sure if this is normal since the car is getting up there in miles or something from fluid? Trans is shifting normally.

honda amsoil atf 2019.png

Originally Posted by Brybo86
I will send in the ATF to be tested tomorrow, but here is a pic of the magnetic drain plug. The wavy lines you see in the particles is because it was really hot and I dropped it on the cardboard. I don't have a pic of the plug from when I originally changed the ATF to Amsoil at 34k miles but this plug looks much cleaner than I remember the first one looking like.
[Linked Image from i1222.photobucket.com]

Photobucket reduced the quality so badly I can't see the photo. But waves in the junk caught is pretty normal - it's like that on our Accord and Odyssey.

I agree Photobucket used to be the holy Grail of photo hosting but now they are trash, and took all the old threqds down with them ...
I changed the trans fluid for what I believe was the first time on an odyssey we picked up at 111k miles. And it had much more material on the plug that the accord ever did. Probably 1/8 thick on the sides.
What fluid do you use in your odyssey?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back