Should I use Rotella T6 in my Honda Phantom TA200?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys! Im considering using Rotella T6 in my bike for my next oil change. It is a 14 year old air-cooled 200cc Single Cruiser with 574xx km's on the clock, mainly used for commuting everyday with some hard riding on the twisties from time to time. I live in Singapore where it is approx 80-90% humidity all the time & average 28 degrees celsius ambient temp. Would be awesome if you guys can give feedback. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
In my opinion, you don't need a 5w cold rating, and it will shear down to xW-30 anyway. You don't want that in an air cooled bike in hot weather, wouldn't protect your gears too well.
I would stick to what got you to 574xx km's to be honest. May I ask what you have been using until now?

Im the 3rd owner of the bike so im not too sure what oil was used for majority of its life. Got it at about 53xxx km's. The oil being drained out on the first change was 300V, but it costs $30+ SGD so it is out of the equation (dont really need it I guess, plus im a student intern so my pay sucks hahaha!) I've used Chessa Chex 9000 10W-50 (small brand, not sure if you guys have it in your country) for 2 oil changes. Currently at about 1000+ km on Putoline Ester Syntec 4+ 15W-50. Shop recommends changing the oil at 2000-2500 km because the bike does not have an oil filter (it has an oil strainer screen but its not effective against majority of tiny particles).

Last edited:
In that case, in your climate with those frequent oil changes I would buy a big pail of 20w-50 HDEO (should be available there) that is rated for gasoline engines and use that.
Mobil Delvac Super 20W-50, maybe.

EDIT: Do you have an owner's manual?

Last edited:
Oils that are rated for both engine and transmission service are not all that common. The Allison Transmission list is a good place to find such oils. Rotella T6 is on the list. It is an excellent choice for what you want to do
smile.gif

http://www.allisontransmission.com/parts-service/approved-fluids/off-highway-fluids

I've been building and riding bikes since I was 13 years old. That's some 55 years now, and I'm still at it. I have often thought that most motorcycle oils are just repackaged mixed use oils (engine & transmission) with a higher price point.

I'd put T6 in there in a heart beat
smile.gif
Change it fairly often like twice a year. It's a USA style synthetic, so shear will less of an issue. All the Honda's I own allow for 30 and 40 grade oils. Yes you can run a 50 in desert conditions. But you are not quite in that situation.

I think you already have the right idea using xxW-50 I would not hesitate to run the T6 or M1 15-50. You may find with the M1 the trans will smooth out like butter as a bonus. For the wet clutches as long as it is not "Energy Conserving" the clutches will be fine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back