Emergency equipment in your vehicle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Besides the factory equipment like lug wrench, jack, and spare, what else do you carry?

I have a tow strap, folding entrenchment shovel and a hatchet. A roll of gorilla tape is usually in the spare well too. Should add a selection of zip ties. Always carry jumper cables.

Thinking of adding a VAIR compressor soon. One of the newer lithium jump packs would be another good addition.

I'm not usually too far out, so I don't carry tools regularly. With a cell phone and charger in the car it seems a bit much. Besides trimming a tool kit down for compactness always seemed to mean you'd never likely have a tool you really need when the time comes. I can always call a family member or tow truck if it comes to that.

Just remembered that my dad had a space blanket in his glove box for years in case of emergency.

So any preppers out there with a duffel kit or such they want to share? As a former scout, I do believe in being prepared, so ideas on essentials for emergency would be appreciated. I should have a first aid kit of sorts, that is a tough one though. Simple little ones are quite lacking, and keep in a better one stocked in date is easy to let slide. Also compromise usefulness vs size is an issue.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Forgot about the headlamp I keep in the center console. Guess I was focusing on the trunk type items.

I carry all that plus a fire extinguisher, Army CLS first aid kit, 3 space blankets, water, a few MREs, Leatherman, Swiss Army knife (it has a wine cork screw), 3 flashlights, chemlights, TP, and fire starting tools.

Doesn't take up too much space in my truck but have had to use most of it at one time or another.

I've got most of that stuff in a plastic tote, and a separate duffel bag with toiletries, a change of clothes, and my passport.

I have, chains, load straps, towing mounts, 2 5/16 and just a ball mount for farm stuff, smv sign, 7 way to 7 pole and 7 pole to 7 way, one of those 1/4" 3/8" and 1/2 socket sets in a case, jumper cables, zip ties, multi tool, some pliers, allen key set, power service 911, various fluids such as Delo 15W-40, G-05 coolant, green and red ELC, gear oil, everything to take my wheels off except a service jack.

I keep my 201 piece ratchet set in the trunk of my car, along with my tool bag with pliers, adjustable wrenches, ratchet wrenches, electrical tape, wire strippers & cutters, volt meter, and all sorts of other stuff in there. Also a 10-12" hunting knife in the door panel. Snap On rechargeable flashlight too.

Even though it its 1:30 am i had to go to the garage and check what i had in the trunk and i counted 20 items, i found many of them in the tire well around the tire.I may need help!

A couple bottles of water never hurt. I just carry a basic little kit that comes with a shovel, some cute little gloves and a blanket, along with some other useless safety items. I also carry a small fire extinguisher. You never know when you or someone else may need one. I live in a fairly mild, hazard free area, but a few years ago I got stuck in a very heavy snowstorm in Northern VA in the heart of rush hour (everyone was rushing home to beat the snow). Took me 5 hours to get home which was 20 miles at the time. I was by no means in survival mode, but the water and power bar were nice to have.

Shoes/boots.

Plastic forks/spoons. Can't tell you how many times I've gotten take out away from home only to find it hadn't been included.

Hand warmers.

Old towels.

55 gallon drum liners. Dry to sit on if needed.

Deck of cards.

Old flip phone with charger. (911 works)
$100 cash
A tow strap(used 8 times over 30 years)
Jumper cables quality ones
Mini collapsible snow shovel
LED flashlight with spare batteries
Leather insulated gloves
Space blanket, some 70's foil thing out of grandparents car that turns small and is great water proof mat

I'm feeling a bit inadequate with what I read some of you haul around. Winter is about to knock with a heavy hand by this weekend so will go and get the duffle bag with winter survival gear freshened and loaded up. Been stuck in a car for a night in the winter and with decent gear was not anything more than a bit uncomfortable. Used to winter camp in -20. Vehicles will be set with good tires, all fluids checked or changed and the front brakes replaced and upgraded on the Xterra as it had a warped rotor.

Mosquito repellent and a head net.

If I have to change/plug a wheel at night, or do anything in the way of roadside repairs, not having those could make a very unpleasant job completely intolerable.

I'm feeling like a slacker as well.

I have wheel chocks, jumper cables, a wind-up flashlight, and a reflective safety vest. In winter I also have a small folding shovel and snow-brush/ice-scraper.

Originally Posted By: SumpChump
Fire extinguisher, unless you want to just let her burn and get a fresh start.

I'll have to get another one, I'm pretty sure I left mine in the subaru when it sold a few weeks back.

Originally Posted By: Ducked
Mosquito repellent and a head net.

If I have to change/plug a wheel at night, or do anything in the way of roadside repairs, not having those could make a very unpleasant job completely intolerable.

LoL, with winter coming on here, this was not the kind of gear I had in mind!

Spare quart of oil, multi tool, gloves, goop, fire extinguisher, tire repair kit and pump, paper towel roll, jumper cables, first aid kit, set of flares. Probably some other stuff I am leaving out.

I carry a lot of the stuff listed here. But I always have a tow strap and the hand winch in the car in the winter.

It actaully came in handy over the weekend when I couldn't get out of a friend's back yard with the popup attached to the Focus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back