Should I half fill oil filter on canister type?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the past 1-2 years, just started changing my oil on my LR Defender (canister) and Porsche 911 (cartridge) which I got the service manuals. Have a 2008 Suburban which I take to Jiffy Lube but just got a 2016 Suburban which I want to change the oil myself but don't have the service manual.

The oil filter is canister type AC Delco PF63E which is small. I looked under the Suburban and the filter is vertically oriented. Is it standard practice to half fill the new oil filter? The manual says to do it on the LR Defender.

I just got a 2016 Suburban also. Pre-filling is what I do when the application allows.

How do you like your new Suburban?

How many miles/hours will you run on Factory Fill?

New Suburban is great. I thought I was old school as my daily drivers were all manual transmission but having a modern SUV with keyless entry, push button start, handsfree phone. Still at 1300 miles (4 weeks old) and have a few questions on when to change my first oil.

I personally fill my filters prior to installation. Have had cartridge type and filled those too. Angled filters get 1/2 filled. Oil lubricates better than air, even if it's only for a second or two till the filter is full. I feel better about it. Perhaps I'm just OCD about details I'm hung up on being the 'best way to do it' even of no real difference in reality...

i always prefill the filter until it stops bubbling + dropping down, if its mounted less than vertical i drain "loose" oil + then quickly install!

Originally Posted By: benjy
i always prefill the filter until it stops bubbling + dropping down

Same here.

Less wear on my wrist to fill the can than on my engine for that first startup.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: JustinH
I would not bother doing this. I have had Toyota Cartridges and never done this. I don't even do it with spin on cartridges.

^^^^ not a true bitoger....

I prefill and have since I was a teenager. Has it done any good? probably. Has it done any bad? Doubtful. Its easy to do. Only advice is to use small funnel to fill so the air bubbles dont push out oil all over the outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back