Amsoil SSO 0W-30, 1993 Civic, 3,007 miles

continued from above;

It should decrease next time. Other than that, the results still look quite good. Most wear metals held fairly steady, though iron (which tracks with oil use) decreased some thanks to the shorter oil run. The oil itself was also in good shape. The particle count (old machine) was 16/15/13.
No fuel or coolant was found. Just check back to keep an eye on things.

[code:js][/code]
Aluminum---------------2-----------------------------4 (universal average based on 3,500 OCI)
Chromium---------------0------------------------------1
Iron-------------------17-----------------------------9
Copper-----------------5------------------------------3
Lead-------------------0------------------------------2
Tin--------------------1------------------------------1
Molybdenum-------------288----------------------------81
Nickel-----------------0------------------------------0
Manganese--------------0------------------------------0
Silver-----------------0------------------------------0
Titanium---------------0------------------------------0
Potassium--------------3------------------------------3
Boron------------------52-----------------------------49
Silicon----------------26-----------------------------11
Calcium----------------3386---------------------------2150
Magnesium--------------14-----------------------------140
Phosphorus-------------673----------------------------710
Zinc-------------------775----------------------------834
Barium-----------------0------------------------------0
[code:js][/code]

SUS Vicosity @ 210F----------------------60.8--------------------------57-67 (SHOULD BE)
cST @100C--------------------------------10.45-------------------------9.4-12.34
Flashpoint in F--------------------------430--------------------------->385
Fuel%------------------------------------0----------------------------- Antifreeze%------------------------------0------------------------------0
Water%-----------------------------------0------------------------------ Insolubles-------------------------------.03----------------------------

ISO oil cleanliness code 16/15/13;

>=2 microns---------------------1,111 particles
>=5-----------------------------411
>=10----------------------------113
>=15----------------------------44
>=25----------------------------10
>=50----------------------------1
>=100---------------------------0

I changed the oil pan gasket during this oil change, it will factor in the next OCI

I have noticed that when I add a bottle of Techron fuel system cleaner, the copper ppm goes up. Has anyone else seen this?

An Italian tuneup eliminates the need for any fuel system cleaner. I open up the throttle body with every highway entrance and notice the engine idling smoother at the next exit. Burning off that carbon build up in the way to go.

Harry j your amazing dedication to doing all of your oil testing is remarkable. Great job with a tremendously great car. Well done Captain
smile.gif

Thank you bbhero.

I've had this engine oil leak. I had the valve cover gasket replaced (did valve adjustment), oil pan gasket, main and cam seals.
None of these things entirely stopped the leak. Now it looks like the oil pump gasket is mostly to blame. So, all the work that has been done
will have to be redone to get to the oil pump gasket (o-ring).

Good news! The oil pump was not leaking, so none of the work had to be done (valve cover gasket, oil pan gasket, oil pump o ring etc)
The bad news is that the mechanic couldn't determine where the leak is actually originating....stay tuned

Miles on Civic---450,846
Miles on oil-----10,235
Amsoil AZO 0W-30 oil
Amsoil EAO36 oil filter
Dual Filtermag CT3.2
Golden Eagle magnetic oil drain plug
10ozs LIQUIMOLY
2 qts replacement oil (oil leak)

Blackstone Labs;Thanks for letting us know about your efforts to curb the oil leak. We think Hondabond is a silicone-based sealant, so that or the new gaskets (oil pan, valve cover) are probably where the extra silicon is from. Wear metals are still very low, so we don't think it's from dirt getting into the oil. The PCs similar to last time at 17/16/14. It might just be a little dirtier from particle accumulation over the long run.The TBN held up and still tested at 3.3, which is well above our 1.0 limit.The Civic still seems to be cruising along well at an impressive 450,846 miles. Keep taking good care of it!

Code:
[/code]

Aluminum----------------------3-----------------------------4 (universal average based on a 3,500 OCI)

Chromium----------------------1-----------------------------1

Iron--------------------------18----------------------------9

Copper------------------------2-----------------------------3

Lead--------------------------0-----------------------------2

Tin---------------------------1-----------------------------1

Molybdenum--------------------313---------------------------82

Nickel------------------------0-----------------------------0

Manganese---------------------0-----------------------------0

Silver------------------------0-----------------------------0

Titanium----------------------0-----------------------------0

Potassium---------------------2-----------------------------3

Boron-------------------------76----------------------------49

Silicon-----------------------24----------------------------11

Sodium------------------------10----------------------------43

Calcium-----------------------3538--------------------------2140

Magnesium---------------------13----------------------------143

Phosphorus--------------------766---------------------------710

Zinc--------------------------804---------------------------834

Barium------------------------0-----------------------------0

Code:
SUS Viscosity @ 210F---------57.7--------------------------57-67 (value should be)
cST Viscosity @ 100C---------9.55--------------------------9.4-12.4
Flashpoint in F--------------390--------------------------->385
Fuel%------------------------ Antifreeze%-------------------0.0--------------------------0.0
Water%------------------------0.0--------------------------0.0
Insolubles%-------------------0.3-------------------------- TBN---------------------------3.3-------------------------->1.0

Particles for ISO oil cleanliness code 17/16/14;
>= 2 microns----------1,969
>= 5------------------729
>=10------------------202
>=15------------------78
>=25------------------18
>=50------------------1
>=100-----------------0

Originally Posted By: harry j
Thanks jayg, it's simplicity and ease of maintenance is one of the reasons i'm hanging on so tight. It is very reliable and gets over 40 mpg on the highway. You can still get parts 24 years later!

hello harry! thats remarkable 40-MPG
smile.gif

what is the city driving MPG you have achieved in this wonder Civic ?

Do you believe this MPG result is totally or partly because of the Amsoil AZO 0W-30 being used ?

Pure city mileage is about 29 mpg. A running average that includes some local driving and some highway is running 34.7 right now. D

As far as the Amsoil 0W-30 oil, It's now hard to say if it increases gas mileage. It has been so long since I have used it that I have nothing to compare it to.

Years ago when I first went from Castrol GTX 5W-30, I noticed a new liveliness in engine performance and an increase in MPG, I don't know if the oil alone accounted for this or the other things I did to the car.

On the highway, the Civic gets 40+ mpg reliably and has seen 50 mpg on occasion. I drove from Eureka Springs Arkansas to Nashville,TN a distance of 503 miles and only stuffed 10 gallons of regular in the tank.

It looks like the oil leak problem has been resolved.

It turned out to be the valve cover gasket. I had the mechanic place Honda bond on the entire timing belt end of the new gasket. A small

amount of oil is still showing up, but we think that it's just residual.

Originally Posted By: harry j
It looks like the oil leak problem has been resolved.

It turned out to be the valve cover gasket. I had the mechanic place Honda bond on the entire timing belt end of the new gasket. A small

amount of oil is still showing up, but we think that it's just residual.
The oil wasn't cleaned off before opening up the engine?

The oil was cleaned off but that didn't show us where the oil leak was. It was dripping from the lower timing belt cover. Cam and front main seals were changed, valve cover gasket changed. None of these things stopped or even slowed down the leak. It wasn't until we Honda Bonded the Valve cover gasket that the leak stopped.

Miles on engine- 463,278
Miles on oil-12,422
Amsoil 0W-30
Amsoil EA036 oil filter
Dual Filtermag CT3.2 magnetic oil filters
Golden Eagle oil drain plug
5ozs Liquimoly

Blackstone Labs; Silicon is nice and low in this latest look at your Civic, and wear metals are in good shape too
This is actually less iron than we found in shorter runs in the viewable history, showing very low steel wear
on a per-mile basis. The particle counts tested at 19/18/16, and the TBN is doing fine at 3.2. We'd say the Honda
did well with this relitively long oil change interval. No need to cut back on the next run in our opinion
Another 7,000 miles and you'll have the highest mileage D15B7 we've ever tested, assuming those miles are original
(thay are) to the engine. Impressive report either way!

Code:
[/code]

Aluminum-----------------5--------------------4 universal average based on 3,500 mile OCI

Chromium-----------------1--------------------1

Iron---------------------19-------------------9

Copper-------------------3--------------------3

Lead---------------------0--------------------2

Tin----------------------0--------------------1

Molybdenum---------------233------------------83

Nickel-------------------0--------------------0

Manganese----------------0--------------------0

Silver-------------------0--------------------0

Titanium-----------------0--------------------0

Potassium----------------4--------------------4

Boron--------------------51-------------------49

Silicon------------------15-------------------11

Sodium-------------------9--------------------42

Calcium------------------2957-----------------2147

Magnesium----------------171------------------142

Phosphorus---------------790------------------713

Zinc---------------------765------------------834

Barium-------------------0--------------------0

Code:
SUS Viscosity @ 210 F --60.3--------------------------57-67 (should be)
cSt Viscosity @ 100 C---10.3--------------------------9.4-12.4
Flashpoint in F---------385--------------------------->385
Fuel %------------------Trace------------------------- Antifreeze %------------0-----------------------------0
Water %-----------------0----------------------------- Insolubles %------------.5---------------------------- TBN---------------------3.2
ISO code----------------19/18/16

Particle counts for ISO code 19/18/16;
>=2 microns-------7,019
>=5---------------2,600
>=10--------------720
>=15--------------278
>=25--------------66
>=50--------------6
>=100-------------0

Hello again Harry!!!
Seems like taking advice from some members on this board has definitely done you good! Wear metals are down AND you only spent 25% of money that you would spend in the same 12k miles back when you were doing 3k OCIs. Loving this thread and your dedication more and more! How long do you plan to stretch the OCIs?

Back