isobutanol blend gasoline

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Gevo, Inc. announced that a 12.5% blend of its bio-isobutanol with gasoline marketed for use in automobiles has begun to be sold in the Houston area. This marks the first time that Gevo’s isobutanol has been specifically targeted towards on-road vehicles."

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2016/11/20161112-gevo.html

I went by Buc-ee's to see it for myself. I was disappointed; it may be "premium" but it is 87 octane. If I am remembering right, it was also fairly expensive at $2.8x/gallon.

Higher energy density than ethanol, bio synthesized from diverse cellulosic feedstock using existing processes and equipment, has olfactory notes of Scotch whiskey AND it's sold at a chain with a cartoon beaver/woodchuck on the pump? I'm am excited!

Cost sucks, for now but it's still new in consumer market. When prices settle and supply increases it might be a nice experiment on one of those turbo GDI engines that are okay with regular.

Outboard motor perhaps ? ... at least smaller boats where the price delta does not sting much ...

That beaver represents Arch "Beaver" Aplin ... Great success story that brought large clean restrooms and great stores back to Texas - 37 and counting... worth allot of Buc's that guy ...

Made in Taiwan by the Japanese for use in aviation fuel. Much bombing ensued, so the plants were wrecked by the wars end.

Buc ee's are claiming the world's largest convienence store in New Braunfels, TX ...
Not sure how you measure that - but Wikipedia has some insane gas pump numbers - pictures in Google images ...

4 carbon atoms per molecule. Ethanol has two. More heat, more power, better gas mileage. What's not to like?

Dunno, but it was actively discouraged in 1945. Big oil conspiracy?

CFz14wiWEAEvmaZ.jpg

Last edited:
Would love to have somebody pull a fuel sample on the fuel to find which is with and without ethanol. I cant see how they would have a separate tank for it. 87 tank and 93 tank. Mix them together and you get your mid grade. I would say one of the tanks has ethanol free in it. If they sell it at the higher price point they make more money.

Bu cee's #1 did major retrofitting to do this - others are new - they are near the coast and there is plenty nearshore and offshore fishing in the area. Many of thier stores are new multimillion dollar spreads with a crazy amount of fuel sales.
These guys are location, location, so I would not expect but a portion of them to go to this expense for niche market sales ...

This was definitely a new set of pumps at an old location in Waller. I didn't look at the old pumps to see if they were updated. Hard to imagine that being the case, though.

robert

Originally Posted By: Donald
In NY the E0 is 92 octane.

Not all of it. The Valero station near me has 91 octane E0. Just recently started selling it.

Impressive thread. I wish someone would invent a immersion test for ethanol in fuel (like the grey crystals which turn blue when immersed watered gasoline).

People in Texas and Oklahoma have these fuels because they're blended locally-right at the plant.

Every "no ethanol" station up north is closed; likely failed retail experiments.

I thought ethanol is easy to check for. Add water and shake. In pure gas it just settles on the bottom. In E10 it'll turn cloudy before settling on the bottom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back