Who has a car that does not use oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It depends on what weight I use! Kia Manual authorizes 5w20, 5w30 and 10w30

5w20 - quart every 3000mi
5w30 - quart every 8000mi or so.
10w30 - only tried once, and it was M1HM 10w30 so also A3 rated, didn't burn a drop in 10,000+ miles, but also felt a bit sluggish.

On the wife's car, it burns a little at the start of the OCI, but then sits at 3/4 full for 10,000 miles, using M1AFE 0w20 and M1EP 0w20 if it goes on sale.

2014 Focus ST, 2011 Camaro 3.6, 2015 Canyon 3.6. All currently on Valvoline Synpower 5W-30.

Focus, at 13,000 miles and Camaro at 29,000 miles use none during a ~5000 mile OCI.

Canyon, with 18,000 miles, uses about 1/2 quart every 3,000 miles. Don't know if this is the exact same engine as the Camaro but I assume they're closely related. I think the oil pan on this truck (4x4) is deep and narrow, so the slightest amount of missing oil looks very alarming on the dipstick.

I figured after decades of owning many different cars that never used a perceivable amount of oil, the odds were that I'd finally get one. Thanks, GMC.

My Pathfinder has 201k miles. I have never once needed to add oil to it. Because of its small oil capacity (3 5/8s qts) I used to check the level constantly but after a couple of years I learned to relax. I have always drained the same amount as added plus or minus no more than an ounce or two over 5k mile 6 month intervals.

I was adjusting the alternator belt the other day and noticed that there is some seepage at the front of the pan but not enough to drip and it honestly has probably been there for at least a decade because I have never once cleaned the engine. Nissans of this vintage were tanks.

I've never owned a vehicle that used any noticeable amount of oil. Only thing I ever drove that used oik was my cousins 1992 Toyota tercel that she loaned me one year when I went home on holidays. The thing would burn a quart in a 100km. For the two weeks I had it I spent more on oil than on fuel. Granted, it had over 400;000 km on it. Pulling g away from a red light it looked like a two stroke

Almost all Tercels used a lot of oil; the engine was geared to rev hard and the rings wore fast.

Our family's '89 used a lot of oil, but ran great.

Originally Posted By: Brons2
It depends on what weight I use! Kia Manual authorizes 5w20, 5w30 and 10w30

5w20 - quart every 3000mi
5w30 - quart every 8000mi or so.
10w30 - only tried once, and it was M1HM 10w30 so also A3 rated, didn't burn a drop in 10,000+ miles, but also felt a bit sluggish.

On the wife's car, it burns a little at the start of the OCI, but then sits at 3/4 full for 10,000 miles, using M1AFE 0w20 and M1EP 0w20 if it goes on sale.

My Soul 2L is the same way - used over a quart of 5W-20 in 6k miles, and about half a quart of 5W-30 in 4k miles.

Next summer, it is getting thicker to see how it works.

My 13 F150 with the 5.0 doesn't use any measurable amount of oil between changes, though it only has 38k miles on it so I would hope it wouldn't. My Mustang with it's 200 straight six does use about a quart every three thousand miles.

My 1mzfe 98 Avalon does not consume a drop. After 5k miles the oil is always exactly at full where it was when I started with it.

I use more oil just checking the dipstick weekly than the car ever has done. Has a leaky dipstick o-ring (perhaps among other things), oil level is still right where it should be!

BMW M50 motor. Hasn't even used oil on long runs with the engine spinning 4000rpm for about 240mi (384km) - yes, the convoy was moving fast that weekend.

My wife just drove the new Equinox down to Texas to visit her sister for a week. Just over 2,000 miles and the oil level on the dipstick is the same as it was when we purchased it.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
All engines use oil - even if it's just an immeasurable amount!

Your comment makes no sense whatsoever. "Immeasurable" is defined as too large or extensive to measure. So what you're saying with your comment is that all engines use so much oil that the amount can't be measured? Or do you actually mean that "All engines use oil - even if it's just an infinitesimal amount!"?

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
My wife just drove the new Equinox down to Texas to visit her sister for a week. Just over 2,000 miles and the oil level on the dipstick is the same as it was when we purchased it.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
All engines use oil - even if it's just an immeasurable amount!

Your comment makes no sense whatsoever. "Immeasurable" is defined as too large or extensive to measure. So what you're saying with your comment is that all engines use so much oil that the amount can't be measured? Or do you actually mean that "All engines use oil - even if it's just an infinitesimal amount!"?

I thought you were shopping for a luxury vehicle. And you purchased a used Equinox? And you have the audacity to lecture others on their poor decisions?

My Dad's 1970 Mercury Monterey (400 2-V) used NO OIL.

I oughta know as I was the one doing the monitoring and the 3K OCI's with the then new Quaker State SD oil.

Anyone remember those white cardboard cans with the big De Lux scrolled upon them? Wicked cool!

2008 Jeep Rubicon uses about 1 quart every 1000 miles. It has 75,000 miles on it. It has used oil since about 30,000 miles. Oil is changed every 4 to 5K miles and have used synthetic since the 2nd oil change.
2008 Ram 3/4 pickup with 100,000 miles uses no oil. In fact, it makes oil, about 1 quart between oil changes every 5K miles. Common problem on the 6.7 liter Cummins.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Almost all Tercels used a lot of oil; the engine was geared to rev hard and the rings wore fast.

Our family's '89 used a lot of oil, but ran great.

I heard that they burned large amounts of oil because the valve stem seals weren't very good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back