What brands make good (read: non-chinese) toolsets

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a cheap junk HF tool kit that was mostly a socket set, along with some random other tools. It somewhat served its purpose but the socket wrench has gotten kinda screwy, the 1/4"-3/8" adapater snapped like a twig when my friend was changing his 7.3's alt, and I've kinda lost half of the tools out of lack of caring because they're pretty junky.

Looking into a quality, NOT-Chinese-made tool set. The bigger the better. I'm not looking to spend $300 or something. Hopefully under $150, and maybe even lower on sale around Christmas time.

List all the good brands to look for at Home Depot and Ace and the like, and which common ones to avoid. Thanks in advance.

Oh and I know to avoid cr@psman. Overpriced Chinese junk, and Craftsman does some shady patent-stealing from what I've heard. Not a company I want to be giving my money to.

Originally Posted By: horse123
The bigger the better.

Bigger size (1/2"), or bigger quantity of tools? Either way, it's costs $$.

What sort of tools do you want?

More tools, like 100+ piece sets.

I'd like a fresh socket set, some screwdrivers, those little hex-to-philips/flathead/etc bits you can use on a drill, maybe an allen wrench set. It doesn't need to go from 2mm to 30mm socket or something insane like that, but a good diverse set of general DIYer tools is good. Don't really need a hammer, I have tons of them laying around. I'm more worried about getting what I need than getting too much stuff, doesn't matter if it's a little excessive as long as it covers common DIY tasks, especially automotive, and it's not cheap easy-to-break junk.

Most of my tools are Snap-On....(and are thus american, except for a ubdII scan tool)............but you know my dirty little secret is that I also like METRINCH sets........they are really quite good, and it is so handy on a boat or something to only have to carry one set for both metric and standaard. Another little secret: when selecting a METRINCH socket, try several, and chose the one that has absolutely the tightest fit possible.......if you don't you will surely round your fastener........

I have never rounded one single fastener (standard or metric) by making sure I have the smallest possible socket that will fit......

Love them, esp on my boat and jeep.......way out in the wilderness..................

Do not buy a Stanley set. I had a set I got around 12 years ago, fantastic set. Bought a new one last year, junk.

There's bad chinese and good chinese.

Kobalt and Husky source from China but are passable. You or pretty much anyone can snap 1/4" drive stuff but you can get sockets down to 8mm with 3/8" drive that are sturdy enough. Or get impact sockets.

Xmas is coming and while the deals are good the quality of mega-kits is sometimes cheezier than the regular ones. But if you bust something you can get it replaced with the real thing of the same brand.

Read up on garagejournal.com for their current faves.

Originally Posted By: horse123
More tools, like 100+ piece sets.

Best I can do for quality stuff: http://www.toolsdelivered.com/Williams-50612-Hand-Tools-Master-Tool-Sets

$250:
50612.jpg

Gearwrench isn't bad for the money, its not USA made but its decent and has a good warranty. These items should fix you up pretty good and still way under $300 add some pliers and and other stuff as needed.
The screwdrivers are good as is the USA made adjustable wrench which is Craftsman but is one of the best finished and smoothest ones I have bought

http://www.tooldiscounter.com/ItemDispla...CFZJMDQodTP8DQQ

https://www.amazon.com/Wiha-30295-Screwdriver-Slotted-Phillips/dp/B001F6JVYO

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-10-in-adjustable-wrench/p-00944604000P?intcmp=crft-pdp-buy-cta

Sonic Tools have gotten my business as of late. I noticed Chris Fix on YouTube using them so I got a socket and ratchet set and it's just as good as the Tool Truck tools and about 1/3 the cost. Will most likely stay with them from this point forward.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
S&K is sold on Amazon and is made in the USA. I'm a semi mech for UPS. S&K is underrated.

Every S&K that I have uses had been a pleasure. Very popular with machine repair guys at manufacturing plants such as Master Lock.

We'll have to disagree on that; USA production doesn't have a monopoly on the quality tool marketplace, and current Williams (COO - Taiwan) are a fine tool to rely on at a very good price. In other words, their "bang for the buck" factor is top of the chart for me.

SK for ratchets/sockets.
Wright for wrenches.
Wiha for screwdrivers.

Last edited:
If you want to stay in that price range go back to Harbor Freight. Their Taiwan made Pittsburgh Pro line is just as good as any Taiwan made Husky, Kobalt or Gearwrench but for less money.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
S&K is sold on Amazon and is made in the USA. I'm a semi mech for UPS. S&K is underrated.

Ive been very pleased with my collection of SK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back