Purolator BOSS PICS open and can

Status
Not open for further replies.
To each his own. I'm not talking bearing clearance oil flow. I'll stick with filters with larger center tube holes and lots of them. Before you chime in, yes that includes e-core filters.

I posted pictures of the center tube of a Boss spin on. Lots of holes in it, and every one of those indentations are actually open ended meaning two slits per indentation. It's just a different design, and Hastings/Baldwin is using it too, at least on the Hastings filter I just cut open recently.

Quote:
To each his own. I'm not talking bearing clearance oil flow. I'll stick with filters with larger center tube holes and lots of them. Before you chime in, yes that includes e-core filters.

How big do you think the oil galley passage is that feeds that oil filter? Do you think it has more flow area than all of those little louvers?

It's a non-issue.

Last edited:
Sorry, I'm not an automotive engineer or fluid dynamics expert. I figure that the larger the oil holes on the center tube the easier it is for cold oil to flow through them. Take a metal cup and punch pin holes in it that total 1 inch of open area and take a piece of metal and punch one 1- inch hole in it and pour real cold oil in the cup and I think the 1 inch hole will flow a lot faster than the pin holes. Like I said in my first post on this thread, I'm sure Purolator did flow tests on the new filters and they meet specifications, but I'll stick with filters with larger center tube holes. Just wait and see if the current Purolator center tube design is changed.

^^^ If Purolator didn't test the new center tube for flow, then they shouldn't be in the business of designing and manufacturing oil filters.

My only concern is the consistency of the slit openings during manufacturing. We have already seen a couple of specimens with what looked to have much different slit opening size.

If the slits are too small for your taste, get an Ecore
banana2.gif

Do you think that they are outsourcing the center tubes / failing to have consistent quality control? I know that the round center tube hole opening sizes have varied greatly on the white can Purolators I have used over the years.

Originally Posted By: xtell
Sorry, I'm not an automotive engineer or fluid dynamics expert. I figure that the larger the oil holes on the center tube the easier it is for cold oil to flow through them. Take a metal cup and punch pin holes in it that total 1 inch of open area and take a piece of metal and punch one 1- inch hole in it and pour real cold oil in the cup and I think the 1 inch hole will flow a lot faster than the pin holes. Like I said in my first post on this thread, I'm sure Purolator did flow tests on the new filters and they meet specifications, but I'll stick with filters with larger center tube holes. Just wait and see if the current Purolator center tube design is changed.

My colander won't hold water, no matter how fast I pour water into it, and it's got TINY holes. What does your fluid dynamics experience say about that?

My colander is plastic and the holes aren't that small. One thing about it if it sheds any burrs, rough edge particles, they are plastic not steel. Maybe it is time to review the e-core filters again. Which is the very best e-core filter?

Pureoil site gives the applications but the part record displays "Not available at this time".

It is easy to find specs for filters when they are loaded.

From PureOil.com main page, select do it yourself, online catalog, buyers guide. Input the part number, applications are shown. Near the top of the page there is a link to the specs. Too bad it is empty.

Last edited:
Why I cannot fid on pureoil.com Purolator Synthetic filters? For any cars.
Boss are started instead of "synthetic"

Last edited:
Main difference is:
Purolator Synthetic had 99%@25u
Purolator BOSS have 50%@22u, 99%@46u

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

Thing is, with OIL HOLES in the center tube, you are guaranteed to get "flow performance". Even if there was a blank that did not clear.

However, louvers in the center tube, there has been some louvers that have NOT been punched out correctly, the holes are too small, and many of them.. A .1 mm smaller slit and you got restriction.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Aikido
Originally Posted by BigD1
The efficiency ratings are listed on the Purolator website.

I looked... Thanks for nothing; there are no micron ratings listed on that site for any of their filters. Why the faux referral?

This is an old thread, check the dates. Purolator took the efficiency info off their website since 2015. Give their customer support number a call since they won't publish them on-line anymore.

As far as the Boss, it's 99% at 40μ..Same as it was before they changed the paint jobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back