SAE Paper on Toyota NASCAR oil development

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't wait for Toyota to turn the oil industry on it's head with this incredible race-bred R&D related to making their NASCAR race engines last longer. I bet they can show Lubrizol and thing or two
cool.gif

Thanks for posting.

I have the paper. It's old, but worth reading, IMO.

Executive summary: The worst oil additive package tested (wear wise) was the best oil additive package that was modified with the addition of moly AF additive. Another bad oil additive package was a high detergent additive package.

Can't have it all. I'll pick engine cleanliness over wear or friction though. Wear is not that important to me.

Yeah, 2,000 is a while back and I'll bet there have been incremental advances in non-metallic based additives.

I seem to recall a few cars over the last few years sponsored by G-Oil and I assume running their lubricants... Seems they completed the races w/o catastrophic failure which says something about bio-based lubricants.

I suspect that there will be a future melding of petro and bio-based oils that may out perform current lubricants ...

Originally Posted By: PeterPolyol
Can't wait for Toyota to turn the oil industry on it's head with this incredible race-bred R&D related to making their NASCAR race engines last longer. I bet they can show Lubrizol and thing or two
cool.gif

Thanks for posting.

Martin Truex Jr would not be impressed.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Yeah, 2,000 is a while back and I'll bet there have been incremental advances in non-metallic based additives.

I seem to recall a few cars over the last few years sponsored by G-Oil and I assume running their lubricants... Seems they completed the races w/o catastrophic failure which says something about bio-based lubricants.

I suspect that there will be a future melding of petro and bio-based oils that may out perform current lubricants ...

I believe what I heard at the time was that the support vehicles were running G-Oil, but not the race cars.

Are there any available oil on the marker? Is the high VI Toyota oil the mPAO [blend]?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back