Freevalve Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Olas
It's just a collection of solenoids - old boring tech used in an interesting and creative way.

That's what makes it so great.

This is great for maximum performance but what happens if one of the actuators sticks a valve open on grandmas 60K miles daily driver? the simplicity of a big mechanical spring still isn't such a bad idea.

Formula 1 cars have had pneumatic valves for awhile.

Pretty neat. Not sure if it was mentioned in the video, but provided it's not a valve crasher, it's a great option.

Near ideal valve lift and timing for any situation a passenger car engine might encounter seems like a leap forward as significant as variable ignition timing.

Claud.

Originally Posted By: another Todd
Originally Posted By: maximus
more mechanical complexity.

Looks like much less complexity to me.

Agree.

Compare that to one of the latest goofy engines with chains, phasers, cams, rockers, and the whole bit.

Originally Posted By: Kawiguy454

Yes, the mechanization must be fairly well understood as it's not a "new invention". Seems like I read a few years back that the F1 teams charge the pneumatics prior to the race (no parasitic engine driven pump) which, if true, means the system doesn't require huge amounts of pressure to the extent to need constant replenishment. And I have never heard that the valve system failed on this or that car. Interesting. Going only on memory there so YMMV.

Originally Posted By: DeepFriar
Originally Posted By: Kawiguy454

Yes, the mechanization must be fairly well understood as it's not a "new invention". Seems like I read a few years back that the F1 teams charge the pneumatics prior to the race (no parasitic engine driven pump) which, if true, means the system doesn't require huge amounts of pressure to the extent to need constant replenishment. And I have never heard that the valve system failed on this or that car. Interesting. Going only on memory there so YMMV.

Don't F1 engines use normal cams with gas springs instead of metal springs?
That's different from the system discussed here which appears to use electromagnets to open and close the valves.

Quote:
Don't F1 engines use normal cams with gas springs instead of metal springs?
That's different from the system discussed here which appears to use electromagnets to open and close the valves.

I'm sorry I didn't see your original post. Yes, you're right, I looked further at it and the systems as they exist now are cam driven with pneumatic springs only. Renault has apparently been working on various means of actuation to include both electromechanical and even hybrid pneumatic/hydraulic systems. Seems everyone would like to do away with the rotational (and other) mass of the camshafts but it hasn't happened yet if what I read is correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back