'13 KTM DUKE 690 MAXIMA 10W/60 1,002 MILES + VPC12

Status
Not open for further replies.
sQohO3V.png

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pwqbOCfafYeHwalhctrVMPdlDbIH45oc236MucfM8IE/edit#gid=0

interesting report, I would have been more interested in this report when no racegas (leaded?) woud have been used.

Zinc seems a little low for only 1000 miles usage?

Which oil has been used with the 17.487 miles report? That one has perfomed just as good as the Maxima.

Last edited:
similar numbers other that of course the lead which is just more crud in the oil. You are putting on the miles !

Originally Posted By: alex_at
interesting report, I would have been more interested in this report when no racegas (leaded?) woud have been used.

Zinc seems a little low for only 1000 miles usage?

Which oil has been used with the 17.487 miles report? That one has perfomed just as good as the Maxima.

Yes, the Pb is from a leaded race fuel: VP C12.

Originally Posted By: albertdi
I'd love any thoughts on the improved shearing of this oil as compared to every other 10w60 I have used.

the above comments are so disturbingly sad to read and contain misinformation

hmmmm 3 out of the pervious 5 uoa's are under 1000miles and 2 of those have lower susvis
and 2 of the 5 with lower susvis had oil added.
and you want to know why this one is low?

the tranny chews it and 10w60 is a huge spread.
you have used 3 of the most "highly advertised as best" oils there are.
you dont get high ambient temps. a short oci of 15w40 or 20w50 would be better than 10w60
and on cooler days the 15w40 has good enough cold flow

Originally Posted By: sunruh
Originally Posted By: albertdi
I'd love any thoughts on the improved shearing of this oil as compared to every other 10w60 I have used.

the above comments are so disturbingly sad to read and contain misinformation

hmmmm 3 out of the pervious 5 uoa's are under 1000miles and 2 of those have lower susvis
and 2 of the 5 with lower susvis had oil added.
and you want to know why this one is low?

the tranny chews it and 10w60 is a huge spread.
you have used 3 of the most "highly advertised as best" oils there are.
you dont get high ambient temps. a short oci of 15w40 or 20w50 would be better than 10w60
and on cooler days the 15w40 has good enough cold flow

I am wondering why this one is high.

Was vp used the whole oci?

your lead count is too low, boost it up a bit, on a thousand miles, to around around 80 to 100 ppm, 2,000 miles 150 to 200 ppm.

Originally Posted By: Mackelroy

your lead count is too low, boost it up a bit, on a thousand miles, to around around 80 to 100 ppm, 2,000 miles 150 to 200 ppm.

Yes, entire OCI. Will boost. Thx!

Doesnt look like a very impressive report compared to other reports in your UOAs. Such at 15,000 miles and to some degree 21,000 miles. Who cares about shearing if wear numbers are high, maybe more so in a bike with frequent changes too. (just my thoughts)

Last edited:

What is the lead supposed to do?

Originally Posted By: CT8

What is the lead supposed to do?

I was wondering about this myself. Perhaps to mask any actual bearing wear that might be occurring.
wink.gif

The lead does a couple of things, its a lubricant, piston skirts, cylinder walls, valve cushioning, (both seat and stems). As you can see it works its way into the oil (combusted provides snowflake oxides) , and is circulated through out the motor. Also lead oxides are outstanding decarboners from cylinder heads to the tail pipe, used at intended ratio's.

Ive been alittle shocked at the metal count of this motor, should be half as much, the best oils have been run, with not much differnce.

Last edited:
Actually I have found since the removal of lead from the gasoline engine life has increased dramatically.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Actually I have found since the removal of lead from the gasoline engine life has increased dramatically.

I wonder why that is...
hooked.gif

In Motorycle engines, water cooling had more to do with engine life than anything else(allowed for tightening the clearances) and more stable temperatures, forged pistons and hard coated cylinders, just excel the life also. (Lead) ended about that time , so I can see how someone might jump to that conclusion, that it was the lead.

New LC4 owner here.

Wish I would have read your reports sooner. Just canceled my order for Amsoil 10/60, and placed a new one for SAE 60.

Did not realize these engines knocked down oil this badly!

Also learning that the warning about not using high-zinc oils in this engine because of silver bearings is clearly baseless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back