cheaper FC-W oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I service my cousins Yamaha 60 hp 4 stroke, and we were both saying that Yamalube 10W30 seems expensive, at $10 a quart. Do they have any FC-W rated 10W30 and 10W40 oils out there a little bit cheaper? $10 a quart for non synthetic is a tad bit expensive. The motor is 10 years old with only 98 hrs, but I'd still like to use the proper oil, my cousin knows nothing about engines, so he expects and trusts me to use the right stuff.

At that age with those hours, I wouldnt think twice about using a 15w40.

My local Walmart has QuickSilver 25w-40 which should carry that approval too.

Last edited:
Royal Purple HPM is what I'm running in that motor - when I got it on eBay - it was $8 + free shipping ...
Best I saw there on a quick glance was 6/$50 ... Excellent FC-W full synthetic ... Mine purrs on this ...
I change it once a year ...

Remember that FC-W spec is just a bar they set for corrosion resistance and performance.

Plenty of oils that don't have that label on it are well above that bar.

Diesel oils (HDEO) are usually well above that bar.

Been running Rotella 15/40 in my 50HP Mercury outboard for a couple years now. It's a favorite with lots of guys here.

A buddy of mine who is a fishing guide has run Castrol 20/50 in his 225 Suzuki outboard for years.

Last edited:
Good advice by all, Penzoil at wal mart carries the FC-W seal and is good oil. My personnel favorite is Rotella T5 10W-30.

Originally Posted By: mobilaltima
I service my cousins Yamaha 60 hp 4 stroke, and we were both saying that Yamalube 10W30 seems expensive, at $10 a quart. Do they have any FC-W rated 10W30 and 10W40 oils out there a little bit cheaper? $10 a quart for non synthetic is a tad bit expensive. The motor is 10 years old with only 98 hrs, but I'd still like to use the proper oil, my cousin knows nothing about engines, so he expects and trusts me to use the right stuff.
When I ran a four stroke Suzuki, I found a Pa. dealer that sold me Suzuki 10w40 FC-w for $3.50 a quart. The timeline was 2006. I would think that the price would be higher now, but it still could be very competitively priced. Good luck!

Another way to save money when running low hours is the filter (OEM) every other year - and then you only need two quarts... (Don't need the 3rd bottle opened for a few ounces) ...

Well at that age, it's out of warranty. Are there any signs of water issues?

If the oil comes out clean and clear every time, than I'd just run Rotella T6 5W-40 and cruise on
smile.gif

If you have a Fred's Super Dollar near you, they were carrying Pennzoil 4-stroke marine for like 4 or 5 dollars a quart, 10W-30 I believe. I'd probably just use Delo 30, 40, or 15W-40 if I had a boat, or maybe some Kendall Competition 20W-50 just to be different.

Originally Posted By: dwendt44
"special" 4 stroke Marine oils and filters are marketing gimmicks.
Good quality motor oil is sufficient.

Yeah! Increased rust protection is for the birds. Marine engines are definitely not prone to increased moisture contamination and corrosion.
33.gif

SAE Paper About NMMA FC-W (Preview available on right side of page pretty much says it all)
Infineum Newsletter About NMMA FC-W Importance
News Article When NMMA FC-W Was Launched

Silly engineers and their focus on making things "better", I mean creating more gimmicks.
whistle.gif
:

After doing some research, I started using Rotella T6 full synth in my Yamaha F115 about 3 years ago. It does shear to a low 30 weight after one season but the UOAs look great.
My try the new syn blend 15w-40 next time just to see how it does.

I used the Yamalube 10w-30 while the motor was under warranty but never did a UOA. If the 5w-40 shears to a low 30 weight, I can't imagine how low a 30 weight would have dropped.

Originally Posted By: MotoTribologist
Originally Posted By: dwendt44
"special" 4 stroke Marine oils and filters are marketing gimmicks.
Good quality motor oil is sufficient.

Yeah! Increased rust protection is for the birds. Marine engines are definitely not prone to increased moisture contamination and corrosion.
33.gif

SAE Paper About NMMA FC-W (Preview available on right side of page pretty much says it all)
Infineum Newsletter About NMMA FC-W Importance
News Article When NMMA FC-W Was Launched

Silly engineers and their focus on making things "better", I mean creating more gimmicks.
whistle.gif
:

I should use FC-W in my cars, because I drive through heavy rain storms all the time. Also sits outside 365 days a year, and I drive through slush in the winter. My boat on the other hand is only put in the water when used, never sees rain, and spends most of its life in a dry garage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back