GM recommends Mobil 1 15w50 for 2016 Corvette

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe someone in charge at GM believes xW50 will result in higher oil pressure than xW40.
If that is the case, the right hand should tell the left hand how smart oil pumps work.

We can't have $100K vehicles running on $3/L engine oil, can we?

I got the December Car and Driver and, in it, a review of the 2017 Camaro ZL1. In the diagram provided the vehicle has 11 heat exchangers including cooled transmission oil running all the way back to a heatx in the differential! Seven are air to liquid and four are liquid to liquid. If GM came up short on cooling for the Corvette it looks like they aren't going to do it again.

Originally Posted By: DeepFriar
In the diagram provided the vehicle has 11 heat exchangers

Think of all the opportunities for leaks and fluid mingling when this car puts on some age!

Originally Posted By: DeepFriar
I got the December Car and Driver and, in it, a review of the 2017 Camaro ZL1. In the diagram provided the vehicle has 11 heat exchangers including cooled transmission oil running all the way back to a heatx in the differential! Seven are air to liquid and four are liquid to liquid. If GM came up short on cooling for the Corvette it looks like they aren't going to do it again.

I dunno if GM ever came up short on cooling. They did come up short on the oil filters and weight didn't really matter there...
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
They are V8 engines. 6.2L, 450-650hp or so...
That's 72-105 HP/L

My Honda Accord Hybrid puts out 70.5 HP/L... Should I run M1 15w-50 in it when Im going to be driving fast/hard on the interstate???

Is your hybrid the V6 version?
Lucky guy.
Continuing your train of thought....... the new Ford 3-cylinder engine outputs 125 hp per liter! But it still runs 5W-20.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Wow! This 15W-50 has sure generated alotta controversy.
smile.gif

I know....remember when everybody ran GTX 20W-50, or something similar, and nobody blinked an eye.

Coming into this very late, so just some random thoughts. I own a 2011 Corvette that I track as often as possible.

It's not unusual for an accomplished driver on even a warm summer day to drive oil temperatures to 300 degrees in a 20 minute session in a C6 without additional cooling. When you roll into the pits and the oil is still that hot, oil pressures were be in the lower single digits, so it's been long known that a higher viscosity oil is necessary for engine protection during serious track work, despite what the owner's manual may have said back then.

Also, an engine is only around 25% thermodynamically efficient (though some modern gasoline engines are approaching 35% or maybe a bit higher), so 75% of the energy produced by burning gasoline goes into heat. While the LS3 is 6.2 liters, the overall physical size and mass of the engine is very low in comparison to an overhead cam engine. The LS3 occupies a small physical volume than a BMW 4.4 liter V8, for instance, though it makes considerably more power. So the heat production per unit volume is greater in the LS3 than in many other motors. And the lightness means it is a smaller heat sink, and that lightness also means it also works as a transplant into a small vehicle like a Miata.

Lastly, I've run HPDE's in both the dry and the wet at about the same air temperatures. While there are obviously differences in cooling in wet and dry environments, I typically run about the same RPMs in both instances, but also a gear lower in the wet. In the wet, though, I usually can't get anywhere near full throttle, and consequently oil temperatures never get that hot, maybe 240-245 F. In the dry at the same ambient temperature, I can get the oil temps up to about 280 F. This is also despite higher speeds and thus greater airflow through the various coolers in the dry. So my experience (and that of those who do HPDE sessions) is that full throttle use generates a lot more heat than simply running at similarly high RPMs but at lower throttle openings.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Wow! This 15W-50 has sure generated alotta controversy.
smile.gif

Why ?

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: Shannow
I also wonder whether any of these hills are all attacked at the same road speed and in the same gear, as dropping a gear for a hill...changes RPM...as well.

That, I'd wonder, too. I'm sure some of our long haul truckers here could chime in with some of their experiences. At least they might be able to tell us something over highway stretches with which they're accustomed, along with their levels of load.

I came across some information on large semi truck engine oiling systems, and they are usually designed with a very effective oil cooling system to keep oil temperatures way down. Those trucks only rev to about 1800 to 2000 RPM max, and they won't vary engine RPM much on the open interstate highways, even going up long grades with a load. They just give it more throttle to keep the speed up while climbing the grade
Actually no, they drop gears as necessary to keep the exhaust temps with a safe zone as not to melt something expensive.

Likewise I've had 2 BMW E30s and an E36 ti M3 swap, the last with cam/header making maybe +30hp, total 270+ net. All have been tracked, one E30 had an Accusump and the E36 had the Euro motor baffled sump 9 qt pan and oil pressure and temp gauges.

Warm season, Amsoil 20w-50 would produce 50 psi cold idle, 20 hot and 45-50 redline. Amsoil 0w-30 would be 40-45 cold idle if I remember right, about 12-15 hot and 40-45 redline . Around town hwy use was ok for the light stuff, but any hard usage needed the heavier hot weight. Things have come a long way in 20 yrs but heavy throttle track usage is still way more stressful. If I ever took the Lexus out, hmm...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back