Hi-Tec Oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently became aware of this independent oil manufacturer here in Australia.

It seems their specialty is particularly in Industrial and Fleet oils, although a number of PCMO's exist as well.

Any thoughts or opinions?

http://www.hi-tecoils.com.au/

I think you're right about the fleet sales, it's been used in my company's workshop quite a bit over the years (They chop and change according to price). Couldn't tell you which particular flavour we use, it comes in 205 litre drums, and is a 5w30 for use in mixed fleets, i.e., petrol and diesel. We certainly haven't had any issues with it.

I've used Hi-Tec oils. One of the local garages here uses Hi-Tec as their bulk fill. They use the semi-synthetics and offer either 10W-40 (SN, A3/B4-08) or 5W-30 (SN, GF-5). They had a third bulk tank that probably had a HDEO in it, but I'm not sure which one.

I got the semi-syn 10W-40, it was fine, but seat of the pants gave the nod to my previous fill of 10W-40 Durablend as being a bit smoother.
[Hi-Tec 10W40 SemiSyn PDS]

It's only A3/B4 2008, not the more recent 2012, but I believe this is more a reflection of it's TBN being below 10.
Typical Data 10W40 Semi-Syn
KV 40 = 93.3
KV 100 = 14.2
VI = 157
Zinc = 1100 ppm
Moly = 170 ppm
TBN = 8.4

High Zinc, good slug of moly. Some Group 3 base oil in it.

Nothing wrong with it, I see local cars driving around everyday with Hi-Tec oil change stickers on their windscreens.

They make some interesting stuff, like a SAE 50 race oil with 2200 ppm Zinc, TBN = 7.65, KV 40 = 215, KV100 = 21.5, VI = 120 that they claim meets API SN. They also sponsor a fair bit of local racing.

Some of their products and data sheets look nice, yet other products and data sheets look a little unimpressive. They use a lot of 2008 & 2010 ACEA specs, instead of 2012.

It depends on the actual oil you are interested in, the application and the price.

Quote:
OUR WARRANTY STATEMENT
Hi-Tec Oil Traders Pty Ltd (trading as Hi-Tec Oils) warrants the quality of its lubricants. Hi-Tec Oils warrants the performance of its lubricants when used in the correct application under the appropriate conditions. Should Hi-Tec Oils’ products or services be the cause of damage to a customer’s equipment, then Hi-Tec Oils will cover the customer for the value of the damage to the customer’s equipment and for incidental expenses incurred (such as recall costs).

Quote:
Business Partners:
Infineum, Lubrizol, Exxon Mobil BaseStocks, Afton, Chevron

Last edited:
Just checked the site. Holy moly how many 5W30 oils can they possibly have. I saw some in Sprint Auto's latest catalogue. Not very cheap $50 for 6L.

Originally Posted By: KL31
I saw some in Sprint Auto's latest catalogue. Not very cheap $50 for 6L.

Exactly, it depends on the price. And for less than $50 I can follow the sales and get 5L of Valvoline SynPower 5W40 or Shell Helix Ultra 5W40 or full synthetic Castrol Magnatec 5W30, all with the up to date 2012 ACEA specs. Plus the first two offer a lot of OEM Euro specs.

Just recently SCA had Shell Helix HX7 10W40 SN & A3/B4-2012 semi-syn for $20 (save $17). And the HX7 has an everyday price of $32 for 5L at KMart.

Hi-Tec is good garage bulk fill oil for people who don't change their own. But if you do your own oil changes, you can probably get better for less.

Still lots of people around me happily driving their cars with Hi-Tec in their sumps, and I don't expect any of them to have any problems.

I would use it again if I got a very good price. But not at regular prices.

Last edited:
Is that warranty statement "standard"?

Havn't studied this, but it seems to be accepting more notional liability than I'd expect. (I wouldn't expect any, but then I used to work in IT).

Course, proving their product at fault is likely to be impossible, so they don't have much actual exposure.

Originally Posted By: Ducked
Is that warranty statement "standard"?

Havn't studied this, but it seems to be accepting more notional liability than I'd expect. (I wouldn't expect any, but then I used to work in IT).

Course, proving their product at fault is likely to be impossible, so they don't have much actual exposure.

Yeah I'm seeing more and more oil companies doing this now. It's pretty unlikely someone will have a damaged engine due to oil and then also be able to prove it was that particular oil. If you used a Euro spec and blew an engine they'd probably say ohhhhh no, so sorry Sir, that's for European cars and your car is Japanese.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back