Rotella T5 15w40 in a Harley primary

Status
Not open for further replies.
2009 Harley Superglide with 27,000 miles. The primary oil is due for a change, and I'm wondering if the T5 would be a good choice. The previous owner used the Harley Syn3 20w50 oil in the primary. It shifts great and never a problem finding neutral. I have no other reason to switch to the T5 other than having a gallon of T5 in the garage that I use for my OPE, and the primary capacity is only 1 qt.

I used it in a Yamaha FJR 1300, and a Kawasaki 750 Brute Force. Just yesterday, I used it changing the oil in the Kawasaki Teryx 800 SXS. It is probably the favorite on the ''Teryx Forum'', and used by many there. I did get smart enough this tie to install a M1 EP filter, saving the hassle of dropping skid plates [ oil filter change ] for the next oil change. All of the JASO oils have excellent shear resistance.

If you already have the oil I say use it. I can't see any reason why you need a xx-50 weight oil in the primary as far as temperature goes; it will never get that hot to matter unless something much, much, MUCH more expensive is wrong. I assume the Motor Company specs 20W-50 because that is what the catalog has available, not because you need a 50 grade there.

I use Aeroshell 100 (equivalent to SAE 50) in my Pan-Shovel engine, but it's a dry primary. Works fine, but like you, I had 2 20 quart pails to use up, given to me when we changed from Radials to Turboprop engines in our floatplanes at work. Probably $300 worth of oil.

I've been using Rotella 15/40 wt for years. My opinion is, it helps quiet down the shift "Bang" into first gear better then 20/50 wt does. It seems 20/50 causes more drag on the clutch plates. It won't hurt anything and you don't need anything fancy in the primary.,,,

Originally Posted By: gman2304
2009 Harley Superglide with 27,000 miles. The primary oil is due for a change, and I'm wondering if the T5 would be a good choice. The previous owner used the Harley Syn3 20w50 oil in the primary. It shifts great and never a problem finding neutral. I have no other reason to switch to the T5 other than having a gallon of T5 in the garage that I use for my OPE, and the primary capacity is only 1 qt.
I tried Rotella, and Ford ATF as some said it waqs good. I don't agree. I used Spectro Primary Chaincase and well pleased. Nothing will get you into neutral easier. No kidding, it was worth the money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back