2012 Pentastar Coolant

Status
Not open for further replies.
What coolant should a '12 Journey with a Pentastar 3.6 have?
I read that Chrysler/Dodge got G-05 HOAT up to 2012 and then OAT from 2013 on

Coolant in the car is a red/orange colour, after looking at other Pentastar models I haven't seen anything a different colour. I assume this is the OAT coolant however the service interval is listed as 5 years in the handbook

What would you use?
Valvoline recommend G-05 for early models but it is dyed green here so I'm not really that keen to use it. Valvoline recommend Dexcool for late models
Castrol recommend SF-O (Dexcool) for early models only
Penrite recommend G-48 for the early models (dyed green) and G-40 for the later ones

Last edited:
Red/orange color would indicate it is Chrysler HOAT G05 as factory fill.

I would use any G05 you can get. Here it's Zerex, Motorcraft Gold (yellow/gold) or of course Chrysler G05 orange-ish in color. The AF color really doesn't matter, just a tint used.

I would NOT use any Dexcool or Dexclone All Make 'universal' with 2eha.

I suppose FCA newer OAT (purple) 'might' be ok, because of no 2eha. That said, I'd stick with spec G05.

Two links you might find helpful below.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/hoat-oat-one-for-the-record-books-258369.html

http://articles.sae.org/11284/

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
Red/orange color would indicate it is Chrysler HOAT G05 as factory fill.

I would use any G05 you can get. Here it's Zerex, Motorcraft Gold (yellow/gold) or of course Chrysler G05 orange-ish in color. The AF color really doesn't matter, just a tint used.

I would NOT use any Dexcool or Dexclone All Make 'universal' with 2eha.

I suppose FCA newer OAT (purple) 'might' be ok, because of no 2eha. That said, I'd stick with spec G05.

Two links you might find helpful below.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/hoat-oat-one-for-the-record-books-258369.html

http://articles.sae.org/11284/

+1 Whatever you do, do not mix HOAT and OAT, it will wreck havoc on your cooling system. The resulting repair is not cheap. HOAT is orange, OAT is purple.

^^^Good point. Should have added if OP decides to go with the newer FCA OAT, a complete exchange (all old out) would be needed. Another reason just to stick with GO5 in the topic vehicle.

Thanks

What is the OAT Coolant? From my investigation, I think it may be G-30.
Penrite do G-30 but they dye it green.

I've got a few months before it's due to find G-05 or I'll have to buy the Mopar stuff, which I bet will cost an arm and a leg here.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
^^^Good point. Should have added if OP decides to go with the newer FCA OAT, a complete exchange (all old out) would be needed. Another reason just to stick with GO5 in the topic vehicle.

From all the horror stories I've read and heard I would just stick with G05 and not even consider trying to change it over to OAT. The G05 is easy enough to get and the price is good, no need to change it over. I miss the days of Prestone Green in just about everything.

Originally Posted By: supercity
...What is the OAT Coolant? From my investigation, I think it may be G-30.
Penrite do G-30 but they dye it green.

What you see in the previous sae link article is about what is known about FCA OAT afaik. In short a proprietary OAT AF formula created by/for Chrysler.

Don't know enough about G30 to speculate if it's similar. Again, AF color means little beyond tint used. If G30 is a no silicate AF then it would be 'similar' in that respect. However, Dexcool has no silicates too, but it contains 2eha.

Again, agree with demarpaint that G05 your best option here.

You want HOAT (like G-05).

Your user manual can be downloaded from here:

http://www.dodge.com/en/owners/manuals/

From your manual:
Please review these recommendations for using Hybrid Organic Additive Technology (HOAT) engine coolant (antifreeze). When adding engine coolant (antifreeze):
• The manufacturer recommends using MOPAR Antifreeze/Coolant 5 Year/100,000 Mile Formula HOAT (Hybrid Organic Additive Technology) or equivalent.
• Mix a minimum solution of 50% HOAT engine coolant and distilled water. Use higher concentrations (not to
exceed 70%) if temperatures below 34°F (37°C) are anticipated.
• Use only high purity water such as distilled or deionized water when mixing the water/engine coolant
(antifreeze) solution. The use of lower quality water will reduce the amount of corrosion protection in the
engine cooling system.

Thanks for all the feedback. As it turns out, Mopar HOAT from the dealer is no more expensive than Zerex and it's dyed the right colour too.

I've got Zerex G-05 in my classic Fiat with iron block, alloy head. I think I'll switch that to The Mopar version too.

Just a quick update

I called the dealer to buy genuine HOAT. The dealer said all Pentastars should now take the 10 year Purple OAT Coolant. Red HOAT is no longer available. I'm not sure if its just the dealer recommendation or it's from FCA, anyone know?

Find another dealer. I just bought four gallons in Michigan. The parts guy gave no indication that it was discontinued or was to be. He even gave me a 10% discount on it. Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge/Ram have too many vehicles on the road that use HOAT to discontinue it. As a matter of fact, Chrysler parts still sells the old green stuff I need for one of my 1990's cars.

Some research suggests the HOAT and newer coolant should not be mixed. The dealer you called seems to be clueless, unless they completely flush the cooling system on the older cars before putting the new stuff in. My dad has a 2013 Grand Cherokee, but the build date is in 2012, so it came from the factory with HOAT coolant. I was able to find the part number and order some from Amazon.

I believe wk2jeeps.com is a good place to find the OEM part numbers for that stuff.

Just a quick update

I called the dealer to buy genuine HOAT. The dealer said all Pentastars should now take the 10 year Purple OAT Coolant. Red HOAT is no longer available. I'm not sure if its just the dealer recommendation or it's from FCA, anyone know?

The dealer parts guy has no idea what he's talking about. Mixing OAT and HOAT can be a disaster and wreck the radiator and heater core. Use the coolant that it originally came with and don't mix coolants. Even a little residual coolant remaining from a cooling system flush can mess things up if you mix the two coolants.

Just a quick update

Perhaps an Aussie thing? Quite certain Mopar G05 (HOAT) and FCA newer OAT available here. I'll say this though, with a complete exchange/flush (distilled flush series till clear), I can't think of a reason why the newer no 2eha FCA OAT wouldn't work just fine in an older G05 spec FCA vehicle.

My wife and I bought a used 2012 Grand Caravan with purple coolant instead of gold. Apparently the heater core had been replaced by the dealer and they put OAT in it. I guess it’s good for about 8 more years.

OK I found out if you ask nicely enough the dealers will order 5 year HOAT however they want $96 a jug for it.

I really don't want to use Zerex G-05 because it's dyed green here. I don't think there is any pressing reason to use G-05 in this engine anyway. G-40 (Si-OAT) and G-48 are readily available although G-48 is only in 20L packs. As far as I can tell both of these are effectively an upgrade from G-05. Anyone know more about G-40? This is most practical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back