Cutting In Your Ceiling

Status
Not open for further replies.
You cut in enough walls and ceilings you can do it in your sleep lol. Left or right handed.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
It's not as though cutting in is difficult.

For some people it is. I've hired people over the years that claimed to be painters and nearly puked watching them cut in a line. With a little practice it is quite easy.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

For some people it is. I've hired people over the years that claimed to be painters and nearly puked watching them cut in a line. With a little practice it is quite easy.

i know for you is second nature after 40 years but:
(for the other guys, educational)
-look how is holding the brush: relaxed, good control, could go like this all day long.... (me, i'm going hand cramps in 1hour, 1.5 hour)
-how much paint on the brush: no runs (me, thank god for drop cloths, tape, plastic sheets and muscles to move furniture around)
-how much paint on the wall: just enough to match the thickness of the roller (me, i've done some "transparency" effects)
-manage to keep the line straight: just look at the corner (me,.... yeah right...still not there)
-good light (one of the keys to "check your work")
-just the right height on the ladder

Pop_Rivit,
quick question: since you lived and grew up on a farm, when did you paint the first time? it is my first impression that people growing up on a farm/agricultural implement/around trades are way more handy then many...

Yeah and very fast too...........
Of course when you do it every day its nothing!

You cut in enough walls and ceilings you can do it in your sleep lol. Left or right handed.

In my later years all I did was paint windows. You ( well not you demarpaint) would not believe how many expert painters
never ever got the fundamentals down or knew them. Painters tape? What's that? In fairness today it's about nearly impossible to get great oil brushes. In my day you held your chimed pot and three to four brushes all in one hand.
My father started his business in 1957 and retired in 2007. He passed away exactly one year ago today.
In his time you brushed walls- no roller, no spray gun..........

Also a wise painter never lets a carpenter have a caulking gun on the job.....

Hey I'm not knocking the guy, its like any other trade you do it day in and day out, it's not a big deal. Now take a painted fireplace mantle and make it look like marble [where you have to tap on it to tell] that's real skill. Cutting in is one of the most basic painting skills.

Originally Posted By: AirgunSavant
In my later years all I did was paint windows. You ( well not you demarpaint) would not believe how many expert painters
never ever got the fundamentals down or knew them. Painters tape? What's that? In fairness today it's about nearly impossible to get great oil brushes. In my day you held your chimed pot and three to four brushes all in one hand.
My father started his business in 1957 and retired in 2007. He passed away exactly one year ago today.
In his time you brushed walls- no roller, no spray gun..........

Also a wise painter never lets a carpenter have a caulking gun on the job.....

I typically do all the cuts, windows, and crowns when I'm working hands on. I like doing interior windows, I don't know why though. We clean the old paint off the glass first, then do the painting.

There's still some good bristle sash tools but oil enamel is slowly dying off. Most good oil enamel jobs have been ruined by people painting over it with a latex paint. That and the VOC regs, killing oil enamels, causing whites to yellow was another death blow. If your dad was still painting in 2007 he'd know what I'm referring too. If he started in the late 50's he probably dealth with a lot of casein and calcimine ceilings, and years later cursed them, LOL. Lets not forget lead paint. I bet he had some great stories, sorry for your loss.

Amen to wise painters not letting carpenters do any caulking. I tell my customers who plan on having carpentry work done to tell the carpenter not caulk or fill anything. I hate when they use silicon caulking, the kind you can't paint and caulk replacement window frames to walls that have to be painted! I don't like when electricians plaster either, leave the holes alone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back