Quick question - what coolant for a 2000 Explorer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Putting a new thermostat and flush on my son's 2000 Ford Explorer

What ant-freeze should I use ??

Owners manual just says Ford Premium Coolant

Any G-05. Zerex sells a G05 that is what I would use. NAPA sells Zerex. Forget the AM/AM coolant.

Of course who knows if people have been using G-05 for the last 16 yrs in the vehicle.

G-05 can mixed with old green, but you will not get the benefit of an extended life coolant until the system is all G-05 via a flush or complete (block, radiator, heater core) drain and fill.

What color is the stuff currently in there? Unless you want to do a full flush for something else I would stick with what is currently in there. If there has been any prior work done on the cooling system I wouldn't be surprised if it was am/am but personally I would flush everything with distilled and fill with G-05. Whatever brand you can find.

G-05, Motorcraft Gold. There's a plastic intake on these, so I'm leery of Prestone and most "universal" all makes/all models based on Dex-Cool chemistry. This includes SuperTech/Prime and anything except for Peak Global Extended Life.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
What color is the stuff currently in there? Unless you want to do a full flush for something else I would stick with what is currently in there. If there has been any prior work done on the cooling system I wouldn't be surprised if it was am/am but personally I would flush everything with distilled and fill with G-05. Whatever brand you can find.

Probably crud brown. People never change coolant and then it turns crud brown.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Good old conventional green available at Walmart for $7 a gallon

All the WMs here sell the universal stuff.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Good old conventional green available at Walmart for $7 a gallon

I agree it is old, but what makes it good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back