2014 Dodge Grand Caravan transmission fluid check/

Status
Not open for further replies.
2014 Dodge Grand Caravan transmission fluid check/change questions.

Sooo, moms van has about 13k miles on it and I want to do pan drains every 15k. I found Dorman makes a trans pan with a drain plug built in for $25, so I bought one. However, looking into the procedure, it appears the procedure is a pain in the rear., and there's no dipstick. I see that I can essentially 'build' a dipstick and measure the depth of fluid, and compare that to the temp chart to verify fluid level.

Couple questions on that:
1, how often is the factory fill even at the correct level?
2, how should I go about checking trans fluid temp? Ideally, since it's a steel pan, logic would tell me that pan temp should be darn close to fluid temp, so should an infrared thermometer tell me close enough trans temp? I haven't tried yet, but I don't think Torque Pro has the correct PID yet for Chrysler trans temp.

Anything else I need to know?

Originally Posted By: KenO
Sooo, moms van has about 13k miles on it and I want to do pan drains every 15k.

That's so Overkill....Every 50k makes more sense.

Leave it alone. It should not require service anywhere near that often.Factory fill is designed to go many,many miles before service,see what is recommended. Probably no sooner than 100,000-150,000.

Dorman makes a special dipstick to check the tranny fluid level. It's only used to measure the level and must be removed before driving. The access hole is to the right of the engine and to the left of the battery with a screw off cap.

Check amazon for the part number. Price is just over $20.

I want to get the factory fill out asap, as most wear contaminants are obviously from break-in. If I can drop the pan and change the filter out now and get a pans worth of fresh fluid int here, I think it could greatly extend the life of the transmission.

And yes, I've seen the Dorman dipstick. Was just curious if anybody else had any experience with this.

Having owned a car like your van for over 10 years I have a little input.

You need to know the correct level. My car came over filled from the factory. You can use a large zip tie marked in MM for a dipstick.

Tolerance is about 5mm on my car with a NAG1, yours may differ. I would suggest a minivan forum...

I want to get the factory fill out asap, as most wear contaminants are obviously from break-in. If I can drop the pan and change the filter out now and get a pans worth of fresh fluid int here, I think it could greatly extend the life of the transmission.

And yes, I've seen the Dorman dipstick. Was just curious if anybody else had any experience with this.

See this link.
http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/showthr...on+fluid+change

Originally Posted By: JC1

See this link.
http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/showthr...on+fluid+change

Perfect! PID info for Torque, thanks!

Just thought I'd update this, I forgot to update it after doing the first drain/fill. FWIW, the trans was fairly low on fluid from the factory. Not long after installing the new pan with drainplug and filling it to spec, mom mentioned that it shifted noticeably smoother. Ended up having a leak the first time putting the new pan on, the gasket tore and I didn't notice until after it was on. So it essentially got ran for a short time and then drained/filled again after pulling the pan yet again to replace the gasket.

We're now at 30k and doing the 2nd drain/fill. Will probably do the next drain/fill at 60k, I'm pretty confident most of the original fill and any break-in material is more than likely gone now.

Ken, what did you wind-up using in terms of a dipstick for your 62TE trans? I know once I found out my local trans shop would do a pan drop, filter change, ATF refill and level check on my 2013 Grand Caravan for $75, that's the route I went at ~40K miles. We're at 60K miles now.

Originally Posted By: JTK
Ken, what did you wind-up using in terms of a dipstick for your 62TE trans? I know once I found out my local trans shop would do a pan drop, filter change, ATF refill and level check on my 2013 Grand Caravan for $75, that's the route I went at ~40K miles. We're at 60K miles now.

Originally used a long white zip tie. This time I used the big Dorman generic dipstick, I've had to use that on a couple Mercedes as well.

Originally used a long white zip tie. This time I used the big Dorman generic dipstick, I've had to use that on a couple Mercedes as well.

How did you determine where the "full" and "add" lines are on the zip tie or Dorman stick?

Why not just install a Magnefine on the return line - it will trap what you are looking to get out. Much easier.

New ATF's can easily go 50k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back