Pressure washing carpet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
I will soon be removing the carpet in my Jeep. My grandfather drove it for years and spilled coffee all over inside. It has also been driven all over the desert so it's full of dirt. Once I remove the seats and panels, I'd like to use my electric pressure washer and wash it really good. But, what kind of soap do I use? Maybe get some powdered laundry soap and sprinkle it on there? Also, a couple years ago a bunch of used motor oil spilled in the trunk area. I used Dawn and it helped a little but I'm sure it's still very oily. (I put another carpet over it). What to use on the oil? Maybe just Dawn again?

I'll post before and after pictures once I do it. I might have time on Thursday.

Thanks for the help guys.

I would use simple green or similar on the oil, and a little dawn and a brush or rag on the rest. A hose in the driveway is probably enough, I wouldn't bother with a pressure washer.

I use car wash concentrate on the carpets. Usually get it for next to nothing in the spring on sale. Mix some up with water and pour on the carpets and wet them down with the power washer, scrub with a stiff brush and let soak and then blast them clean. Simple green is a good oil buster.

I've always had good luck using laundry detergent and a nylon brush on carpet.

I use our pressure washer on the carpets in our boat every spring. Pick a nozzle that isn't too aggressive, and you shouldn't have any issues.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I will soon be removing the carpet in my Jeep. My grandfather drove it for years and spilled coffee all over inside. It has also been driven all over the desert so it's full of dirt. Once I remove the seats and panels, I'd like to use my electric pressure washer and wash it really good. But, what kind of soap do I use? Maybe get some powdered laundry soap and sprinkle it on there? Also, a couple years ago a bunch of used motor oil spilled in the trunk area. I used Dawn and it helped a little but I'm sure it's still very oily. (I put another carpet over it). What to use on the oil? Maybe just Dawn again?

I'll post before and after pictures once I do it. I might have time on Thursday.

Thanks for the help guys.

Get a professional carpet extractor rather than a pressure washer.

Be thankful it's only coffee, not spit from chewing tobacco.

Using steam is as important as which soap. The steam does a lot of the work. On of my relatives owned a carpet cleaning company and he routinely steam cleaned all sorts of other things at request. Get a pro carpet cleaner with steam and the right chemicals and have him follow up with scotch guard.

Last edited:
I have pressure washed carpeted floor mats many times in the past. If the carpet is structurally sound, then you are unlikely to do much damage with an electric pressure washer. And, I assume you are looking for an inexpensive solution, so the rental ideas above may not be what you are looking for. A pressure washer will get out a huge amount of dirt...even if the carpet looks clean to the eye. I have used my home-owner carpet cleaner before also (granted, not nearly as powerful as a professional model). The carpet cleaner does not come close getting the dirt out that the pressure washer can. Simple Green or Purple Power (my personal Wal-Mart favorite for higher % of active ingredients)works great on auto carpets....just takes a while to get all the suds washed out!
wink.gif

Nothing cleans carpet better than Purple Power.

- Pour it on there
- Agitate carpet fibers with a stiff scrub brush
- Pour hot water on there
- Suck out with garage vacuum
- More hot water and suction until carpet is thoroughly rinsed

I have pressure washed a ton of wipe your feet off rugs.

Basically, the pressure washer blasts any dirt right on out and does an excellent job cleaning the carpet. Way better than you would ever get it by hand and in a fraction of the time. As long as you use the proper nozzle and not too much pressure, it wont damage the carpet.

Go for it.

A word of wisdom on washing the interior carpets,whatever you use,make sure it has a very mild scent,because the inside of your Jeep will be overpowered with said scent if you use something scented too strong. I'd use a dedicated carpet soap. Wonder if you can get unscented stuff?

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
A word of wisdom on washing the interior carpets,whatever you use,make sure it has a very mild scent,because the inside of your Jeep will be overpowered with said scent if you use something scented too strong. I'd use a dedicated carpet soap. Wonder if you can get unscented stuff?
Too late lol.

First picture is before, second picture is the dirty water, third is afterwards but it was soaking wet in that picture. It's still out drying and I'm installing it again tomorrow morning.

2r5eybl.jpg

jhyh6g.jpg

23vyxcz.jpg

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Too late lol.

First picture is before, second picture is the dirty water, third is afterwards but it was soaking wet in that picture. It's still out drying and I'm installing it again tomorrow morning.

2r5eybl.jpg

jhyh6g.jpg

23vyxcz.jpg

Good job!! It looks brand new! What did you end up using on it?

Looks good. Another option depending how large the carpet area, is commercial laundromat. The really big front loading washers. I use the smaller ones for carpeted floor mats and stuff. Big ones would be good for large pieces of carpet like that. Some laundry soap and about 4oz degreaser gets them nice and clean.

I considered buying an aftermarket carpet. But this was so worth it. The trunk carpet I spilled oil on years ago and I couldn't clean it out. Found a nice one in the junkyard today and got it for $11, same color too. Also this jeep doesn't have a center console which makes it uncomfortable with no armrest. Couldn't believe that I found a complete center console in the right color too. $10. They gave me a leather spare tire cover for free.

On first-used-car-purchase-I generally trample them in the bath with washing powder and then hose them down over a fence. If I had a pressure washer I'd use it. An amazing amount of filth comes out and I'm often quite surprised the carpet wasn't originally brown.

In Taiwan my last carpet got mildew in the typhoon season and I threw it away. Don't really miss it. Carpets are silly things in a car anyway.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back