Hit a pothole on the highway last night

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last night coming home from a weekend road trip I hit a pothole while travelling down the highway at 75 mph,the front driver's side wheel. Everything felt fine until I had to come to a stop at an intersection in a small down along the way. From a standstill up till around 30mph I started getting a steering wheel wobble that goes away once I hit around 30mph and doesn't return until I slow down to around 30mph and under. What more than likely happened? Just looking at it nothing looks wrong. I plan on jacking it up when I get home from work today and turning the wheels to see if I can find anything.

May have a belt starting to come apart. Here in MN its a winter thing and see many slightly out of round tires:(

slightly bent wheel rim would be my initial guess. It may be on the inside of the wheel which is why you don't see it.

Sounds like a tire / rim issue. Look for bubbling in the next few days. Of course, give the rest of the suspension a once over.

Not looking forward to dodging those winter potholes in the coming months.

Last edited:
either a bent wheel or a tire with damage.. wheel is probably more likely.

Only once have I personally ever had a low-speed vibration that went away at higher speeds. It was broken belts in a tire, which caused a bulge.

I'd carefully inspect all the wheels/tires.

Yeah bent wheel is what I'm thinking too because of the symptoms. I'm going to check it out when I get home from work today. It was raining too hard last night for me to get my car off the ground and look at it. I can get a used oem wheel for $71 shipped from a Nissan Z parts supplier ($48 for the wheel and $23 to ship it Fed Ex).

The larger wheel / lower profile tire combos are much more prone to bent wheel from potholes. at low pressure you just don't have any margin between the trad and the wheel. The wifes 21" forged wheels get at min 40psi.

I just got home,lifted my car off the ground. It looks like when I hit that pothole it caused the tire to separate. I'm so relieved because I need two new front tires anyway and I didn't want to have to replace the wheel.

Yep bent wheel, swap your 2 fronts to the back and back to front, should resolve the wobble, or better yet, get the wheel fixed.

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
Hope the wheel bearing is OK!!!

AND YOU NEED AN ALIGNMENT!!!!

Oh yeah,all is well thank goodness!! When I steer it to the left or right (I'm guessing it bypasses the swollen area of the tire) it's smooth as silk. Wheel bearing is silent too. These cars are built like tanks! Took the wheel off and will going to DS to slap a new Kumho on her Saturday when I'm off,and definitely will get an alignment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back