Why is Hyundai warranty worthless?

Status
Not open for further replies.
From another topic:
Originally Posted By: maximus
Originally Posted By: Bunny
your Hyundai engine will outlast the rest of the car after 10 years i'm sure. And they have a good powetrain warranty so no need to go over cautious there.
Dude, if you only knew the first thing about Hyundai's infamous warranty. I'll put it in simple terms. The warranty isn't worth the paper its written on.
I've never owned a Hyundai (nor plan to), but why do you say the engine warranty is worthless? I thought carmakers HAVE to honor warranties per U.S. consumer protection laws. Please enlighten me.
smile.gif

A coworker of mine had a 10 year old Hyundai with almost 100K miles on it and did get a new subframe. I was surprised. They seemed to not give him an issue over it!

Really depends on the dealer. And if you get a stubborn dealer then it's time to call corporate.

I don't find it "worthless" at all. We've used it a couple times and never was the process made difficult. One was for a defective fog light on the Santa Fe at 36k miles and the other for a steering issue (non-recall related) with a [now sold] Sonata at 53k miles.

Hyundai has really stepped up their quality in the past 8-10 years . I would recommend buying a Hyundai over a Nissan right now without question. The only reason why I like my Nissan Altima 3.5 so much is that it's generation had far fewer problems than the latest one. The 3.5 xtronic CVTs from my generation have had very few issues at all. The 2.5s in my generation of Nissans did have their share of problems to a degree. But nothing like the latest generation of Nissan's after 2013 with the latest CVTs.
Having said this, the Hyundai cars have become a very solid vehicle to buy. I really like the Hyundai Genesis cars a lot. One of my favorite cars to see going down the road.

Last edited:
In my experience as a Hyundai tech, they're far from the best vehicle to buy, but their warranty is second to none here in Europe: 5 years unlimited mileage, including for things like shocks (excluding battery though)

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
In my experience as a Hyundai tech, they're far from the best vehicle to buy, but their warranty is second to none here in Europe: 5 years unlimited mileage, including for things like shocks (excluding battery though)

Interestingly the KIa 7 Year warranty is limited to 100k.

The Hyundai and Kia Warrantys (Mainly Kia though) have a bad reputation in the UK, both manufacturers seem to attempt to get out of claims if the vehicle has been serviced outside the Main Dealer Network even though this is not allowed under EU Block Exemption Rules.

I must admit I took these claims with a pince of salt and put them down to sour grapes.

However.

My 14 Picantos first owner had the first Service done at a non Kia Garage, when I bought the vehicle and took it into my local Kia dealership for its second annual service (under 8k miles) the Service tech made a note that it had a non standard oil filter (not true it was a Mann filter properly specified for the vehicle, Mann Hummel is the manufacturer named on the OE Kia filters) and that it had a non standard battery, wrong again it had a properly specified battery but it just wasn't a Kia branded battery.

Now the only reason I can think off to put those statements on my service history is because Kia want to invalidate as Warrantys and the dealers are helping do this.

Its a pity as we had intended on buying Picantos for staff use and now we won't.

I had bought three Brand New cars from this dealership since 1999, a 99 Seat Toledo 1.9tdi, 04 WRX and 04 Legacy. All fully serviced by them.

So now they have lost my Business for good.

The most annoying thiing is that after being so pedantic regarding the non Kia branded filter and non Kia branded Battery they used 5w30 oil in the car, which is annoying as Kia specify 5w20 in the Oil Spec document on the Kia UK Website.

So in actual fact the only "non standard" part/fluid in the car is the oil that they have out in.

In my experience as a Hyundai tech, they're far from the best vehicle to buy,

6 Hyundai-s and 1 Kia so far.....never had a problem if something was wrong during the warranty time.....minor repairs when out of warranty (50-140EURos/part with work)

My daughter's Hyundai engine was replaced under warranty with a rebuilt unit. The engine became difficult to start, stalled and quit running on a regular basis making a noise like sticking a piece of metal into a grinder and ate up a lot of oil. This was a known problem with many other similar models. At the first sign of a problem with that terrible noise she had the car towed to the dealer. At first the dealer would do nothing because it did not make noise up to the specified level. Finally they agreed there was a problem when they could not keep it running during a test drive.

When she got the car back there were greasy hand prints and smudges all over the place. The paint in the engine compartment was scraped and discolored. They took the car back to the dealer. They washed the outside and when asked about under the hood she was told not to worry about it because no one would see it. She get very upset and finally they agreed to clean up everything.

From the time she left the car for the engine problem until they were done was 5 weeks, not counting the week it took to clean the car.

Then the steering coupling failed and at first the dealer denied coverage under the warranty. She called a factory number and complained about the dealer and that this was a safety problem and should she get a lawyer. Hyundai immediately agreed that they would talk to the dealer and the problem would be covered. The repair took 2 weeks.

When she got the car back she immediately sold it disclosing all the work done with receipts and purchased a 2017 Mazda 6. To say that she will never own another Hyundai is an under statement.

Getting the dealer to honor the warranty for obvious known problems with clear cut symptoms demonstrated in a repeatable manor that anyone could understand and stop the patronizing [censored] talk was like going to war. She told me she did not know which was worse, the dealer or the car.

Disclaimer: this is for USA warranty.

This is not any kind of bumper to bumper warranty.. its a "hyundai limited warranty"

So if your electrical goes bad.. at 25months its not covered..

such as Radio, battery.. they even tried to say the overdrive button on the gearshift wasnt covered because its "electrical". with only 2 year warranty.

They are also super picky if you use aftermarket fluids even correctly spec'ed ones.

Originally Posted By: bigjl

Interestingly the KIa 7 Year warranty is limited to 100k.

The Hyundai and Kia Warrantys (Mainly Kia though) have a bad reputation in the UK, both manufacturers seem to attempt to get out of claims if the vehicle has been serviced outside the Main Dealer Network even though this is not allowed under EU Block Exemption Rules.

I must admit I took these claims with a pince of salt and put them down to sour grapes.

However.

My 14 Picantos first owner had the first Service done at a non Kia Garage, when I bought the vehicle and took it into my local Kia dealership for its second annual service (under 8k miles) the Service tech made a note that it had a non standard oil filter (not true it was a Mann filter properly specified for the vehicle, Mann Hummel is the manufacturer named on the OE Kia filters) and that it had a non standard battery, wrong again it had a properly specified battery but it just wasn't a Kia branded battery.

Now the only reason I can think off to put those statements on my service history is because Kia want to invalidate as Warrantys and the dealers are helping do this.

Its a pity as we had intended on buying Picantos for staff use and now we won't.

I had bought three Brand New cars from this dealership since 1999, a 99 Seat Toledo 1.9tdi, 04 WRX and 04 Legacy. All fully serviced by them.

So now they have lost my Business for good.

The most annoying thiing is that after being so pedantic regarding the non Kia branded filter and non Kia branded Battery they used 5w30 oil in the car, which is annoying as Kia specify 5w20 in the Oil Spec document on the Kia UK Website.

So in actual fact the only "non standard" part/fluid in the car is the oil that they have out in.

Well, the first 2 years are a LEGAL warranty, guaranteed by law. The next 3 years are contractual and require ALL services to be performed by a dealer. you go to another garage and you break the terms of the contract.

The 10 year, 100k mile warranty is only for the engine and transmission internals including gaskets and seals. They dont mention that in the TV commercials. You must show proof that all maintenance has been performed on schedule. There's nothing at all remarkable about Hyundai's warranty. Its an embellished gimmick. Buy a better quality vehicle, not one with a long powertrain warranty.

I had a leaky oil pan at 63k miles. After begging, the dealer half-[censored] resealed it under warranty. It started leaking again. I had Another dealer replace the whole pan. Its now leaking again, but they refuse to fix it. Engine warranty was even extended to 120,000 due to a recall. A/C compressor is on its way out on my 6 year old car. Car has been meticulously maintained.

With the exception of the Genesis line, Hyundai builds their vehicles as cheap as possible in ultra mass quantities. If walmart sold cars, it would Hyundai/Kia.

If you haven't owned one, you're not qualified to comment. This is my first and last Hyundai. [censored] 'em!

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: SHOZ
Really depends on the dealer. And if you get a stubborn dealer then it's time to call corporate.

Been there, done that. Its like complaining to the store manager at walmart. They don't care.

My 2008 Accent is one of the best cars I've ever had. One time to the dealer for leaky axle seal and that's it in 145k miles. If I could get another I would.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ

Been there, done that. Its like complaining to the store manager at walmart. They don't care.
I know of some people that have had 4 transmissions in their Gen Coupes. The attitude of the consumer has uite a bit of influence too.

I've had good experience with complaints to WalMart too.

I like Walmart and Hyundai.
Bought the wife's 2010 Elantra 3 1/2 years ago with 48K on it and it now has 72K and no problems.
I shop at Walmart on a regular basis and no problems.

My '04 had a transmission solenoid go out at 99,950 miles, replaced under warranty.
Never had a problem with the engine in 135,000 miles.
Had a few other warranty issues in the first 36,000 miles (radio twice, headlamp housing fogging, both sides, replaced, and a few other minor things).

I have also had a Hyundai Tucson. Only had it for about 3 years, but no warranty issues at all on it. Several family members with Hyundai's and no issues that I know of either with warranty issues.

2013 elantra. Had an 02 sensor go bad , killed the cat. Both replaced under warranty. no issues at all. Car has been great.

If you haven't owned one, you're not qualified to comment. This is my first and last Hyundai. F--'em!

I've never owned or will own a Hyundai, but I know enough not to buy one since I prefer to learn from other people's mistakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back