Looking into fuel injector upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking into fuel injector upgrade for a 1988 Ford Ranger XLT (2.9L V6). Wasn't there someone on this site that used to modify injectors or something?

How do I find out if there are any improvements to be had from different injectors?

Depends on the vehicle and the injectors.

In the Jeep world, 4 port injectors from various Ford and newer Chrysler products are quite popular. And it improves fuel economy and idle quality.

What colour are the tops of the injectors?

And it is member Trav that does injector service and the like.

Originally Posted By: Miller88

In the Jeep world, 4 port injectors from various Ford and newer Chrysler products are quite popular. And it improves fuel economy and idle quality.

Is there definitive proof of this? At least for the part that it improves fuel economy? From what I understood, it does increase the idle quality but since air and fuel is regulated by oxygen sensors, the 4 port injectors aren't going to have any major increase in fuel economy for the 4.0?

I was looking at some bosch 4-hole injectors for my jeep. Given the price, I think it's worth just for smoothing out the idle on the L6 alone and the supposed increased fuel economy is an added bonus.

Thanks!

Last edited:

I haven't seen them yet.

I'm wondering if this is an upgrade that only applies to jeeps. Has everyone else always used 4-port injectors?

80's vintage Ford vehicles used the pintle-style injectors as well, which were upgraded to the 4-hole style in later years. This is a relatively common upgrade in the Ford world as well, as the injectors are easily swapped and can be picked up at the wreckers dirt cheap.

I didn't believe it either, but the 4-holes in my WJ did make a difference in smoothness and fuel economy.

It's hard to pin it all entirely on the 4-holes, since they replaced 251k mile OE injectors.

I just figured that since I was ditching them anyway, I might as well get 4-hole.

There was another Jeep owner here who got some ridiculous gains from the 4-holes as well.

Originally Posted By: JeepWJ19

Is there definitive proof of this? At least for the part that it improves fuel economy? From what I understood, it does increase the idle quality but since air and fuel is regulated by oxygen sensors, the 4 port injectors aren't going to have any major increase in fuel economy for the 4.0?

I was looking at some bosch 4-hole injectors for my jeep. Given the price, I think it's worth just for smoothing out the idle on the L6 alone and the supposed increased fuel economy is an added bonus.

Thanks!

The single spray injectors don't have as good of a burn. Plus, in a lot of cases, I'm sure it's people like myself swapping out 200K+ mile injectors for rebuilt ones.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
I didn't believe it either, but the 4-holes in my WJ did make a difference in smoothness and fuel economy.

It's hard to pin it all entirely on the 4-holes, since they replaced 251k mile OE injectors.

I just figured that since I was ditching them anyway, I might as well get 4-hole.

There was another Jeep owner here who got some ridiculous gains from the 4-holes as well.

The single spray injectors don't have as good of a burn. Plus, in a lot of cases, I'm sure it's people like myself swapping out 200K+ mile injectors for rebuilt ones.

Well I'll be darned. I'll make sure to make note of it when it's time to ditch my injectors

Originally Posted By: JeepWJ19

Well I'll be darned. I'll make sure to make note of it when it's time to ditch my injectors

Take some time and read all of the reviews. Some people have good luck on this upgrade. Some people have reported no gains or even hurt their performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back