Idle Smoothness

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I finally took that engine cover off the 2.4 Ecotec Malibu in my signature to change the plugs and clean the throttle body/MAF. This car has a used engine I have not cracked into yet. (long story, not happy about it)

I took out some Autolite XP plugs that looked okay minus some ash on the top of the ground strap and put my prefered AC Delco Iridiums in. Sprayed down the throttle body and wiped gently with a clean microfiber while the throttle was worked on accessory. Pulled the MAF and cleaned with appropriate cleaner. Let the MAF dry and screwed back in.

It idles so smooth it's unbelieveable. I had just done the same regimen on my Impala (minus plugs, car is at 64k) and noted some better off the line response, I guess what you could call tip in smoothness, but no idle change. This car however is so smooth now it's unbelievable, you can't even tell it's on.

Last edited:
It's crazy the effect a good tune up has, right?

I got to ask - Why did a 6 yr old car need a new engine?

While I was with Napa for 6 months, sparkplugs are a big deal. There are many mechanics that will only put in them what the manufacturer says to use. Yes they say its best to do that and sometimes its a matter of opinions, but overall, most of them used what the mfg said to use, well it does cover your rearend ...

Sounds like a nice little afternoon project. Those ecotech motors are silly simple to work on and generally tough as nails. There are a lot of things where I say aftermarket can be just as good but sparkplugs I go OEM every time regardless. I have tried all the 4 tips and fancy diamond tips and my vehicles/OPE just doesn't run the same. Enjoy your smooth ride!

Originally Posted By: mclasser
It's crazy the effect a good tune up has, right?

I got to ask - Why did a 6 yr old car need a new engine?

They toss the timing chain, I believe.

Defect in cylinder head. Valve seat was distorted. Engine replaced under extended warranty I didn't choose. Cost us 114 dollars.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back