VW MK$: Master Cylinder / Brake Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Master cylinder issues. I just replaced both rear calipers on my mother's mk4 beetle. While removing the second caliper I had to go help a family member and I clipped closed the disconnected rubber brake line going to the caliper to prevent fluid loss. When i came back the tire I had lying next to the car must have tipped over and the clip holding the.line closed fell off and most of the fluid in the reservoir leaked out. I filled it back up and continued on, but after bleeding the wheels the pedal is still soft, and one of the rear calipers is sticking. Do I have to prime the master? And if so can this be done without removing from the car?

Were the pistons compressed or did you compress them yourself? It takes a special tool to thread the piston in on these cars.

Per the manual, if one chamber of the brake fluid reservoir is completely empty, the hydraulic unit will have to be pre-bled after installation. This requires the use of a scan tool to bleed the hydraulic unit. This activates the ABS and bleeds the air from this part of the system. Once this is done the lines are bled normally.

Did the entire system drain out? I know this isn't much help. Please keep us posted on what you discover.

Originally Posted By: FowVay
Were the pistons compressed or did you compress them yourself? It takes a special tool to thread the piston in on these cars.

Per the manual, if one chamber of the brake fluid reservoir is completely empty, the hydraulic unit will have to be pre-bled after installation. This requires the use of a scan tool to bleed the hydraulic unit. This activates the ABS and bleeds the air from this part of the system. Once this is done the lines are bled normally.

Did the entire system drain out? I know this isn't much help. Please keep us posted on what you discover.

The news ones were already compressed.

I believe between the caliper and the reservoir was almost drained. The M/C reservoir looked pretty low.

you have to prime the ABS pump.

You need a VCDS to run the ABS pump priming and a helper or 2.

The priming is a guided sequence of actuation of the pump, pumping the master cylinder, and bleeding each caliper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back