Sears Diehard is DEKA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The List suggests Johnson Controls for the "Gold" regular starting batteries, and East Penn for the "Advanced Gold" AGMs.

I posit that the place of manufacture is more important than the name of the manufacturer.

You see it in all different types of product.

Quality comes from: US, Germany, Japan, etc...

Junk comes from:China, Mexico, Middle East, etc...

There are exceptions, of course, but in general I think it stands true.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
I posit that the place of manufacture is more important than the name of the manufacturer.

You see it in all different types of product.

Quality comes from: US, Germany, Japan, etc...

Junk comes from:China, Mexico, Middle East, etc...

There are exceptions, of course, but in general I think it stands true.

Except if it says Exide on the side..

My local Sears converted from JCI to Deka 5-6 years ago except the AGM's. However I can buy Deka from local auto parts for a whole lot less than Sears plus always get a fresh battery without all of the Sears bull shi$.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Eddie
Are the Sears DieHard GOLD batteries made by East Penn Deka?

I can't speak for other regions but here in N.J. the DieHard Gold (and Silver and K-mart Plus Start) are East Penn Deka Built.

Most East Penn built batteries are fully sealed maintenance free, compared the vent cap JCI built batteries.
Rather easy to identify once you know what to look for.

Also, on the Sears and K-mart websites there is a EP or JC prefix before the battery group size indicating East Penn or Johnson Controls I believe.

my buddy works at east penn here in iowa. when he started his job was literally to sticker batteries depending on where they were going. sometimes wal mart, sometimes farm and fleet, napa (at the time) etc.... this has been a few years. MOST of your batteries from what i know come from either East Penn (who makes DEKA), Johnson (exide batteries are made by johnson) or Interstate. you may find a store has different manufactures for the same branded battery, just like oil filters. as long as my battery comes from one of those 3 manufactures i don't have any complaints, because i've never had an issue with either (running exide batteries right now by johnson... can get them locally for 75 bucks on sale)

Originally Posted By: sh40674
my buddy works at east penn here in iowa. when he started his job was literally to sticker batteries depending on where they were going. sometimes wal mart, sometimes farm and fleet, napa (at the time) etc.... this has been a few years. MOST of your batteries from what i know come from either East Penn (who makes DEKA), Johnson (exide batteries are made by johnson) or Interstate. you may find a store has different manufactures for the same branded battery, just like oil filters. as long as my battery comes from one of those 3 manufactures i don't have any complaints, because i've never had an issue with either (running exide batteries right now by johnson... can get them locally for 75 bucks on sale)

Interstate is made by JCI, or at least they used to be for many decades. Interstate markets batteries, they do not manufacture them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back