Dynamat- anything similar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
Anybody have any recommendations for a Dynamat insulation knockoff? The real stuff is too expensive for me, this is for my Jeep. This winter I'm pulling out the carpet and pressure washing and shampooing it. Would like to sound insulate the underside. Yeah it's a Jeep, but I'd like to make it tolerable on the highway. My brother bought some from Raam Audio for his Jeep but it's peeling. I want to put it in the doors too.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

FatMat!
Good price! Thanks!

No problem man! Two layers made my '82 Datsun silent as a tomb on the highway...

This company might have something like what you're looking for:

Foam Factory

I've ordered some from them in the past and was pleased with price and quality.

Shot a couple vehicles with 3m rubberized spray undercoating. Really helped a Pontiac Vibe. Fair improvement on the Scion Xb but needs some help on the inside too.

Dynamat is NOT a sound deadener. Any effect you get is nearly 100% placebo. You need mass loaded vinyl and/or closed cell foam to insulate against noise.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
Originally Posted By: SnPb
I used Peel & Seal on a few vehicles with good results. $16.48 at Lowes for a 6 in x 25 ft roll.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Peel-Seal-Insta...lashing/1018733

Yea, the dynamat/fatmat stuff just looks like ice and water shield to me.

I hesitate to use it. They say it's darn near impossible to remove once stuck on.

Why would you want to remove it?

Even then... Some dry ice and a hammer makes short work of it.

If you're looking for a cheap sound deadner I would measure and have length cut of underlayer for carpeting at your local HD or Lowes. It will be cheap and will offer a decent amount of absorption. If you have the time and can keep the windows/doors open for some time you can also spray a few cans of 3m prof. sound deadner first, layer the underlayment then put the carpet back. Regardless of what you buy I wouldn't go with anything too thick. It'll make your carpet lumpy when you try to reinstall.

As a side note, I used the underlayment as I mentioned in my prior post on an 88 pathfinder that I had a while back. It was a tank in every ounce of the word. Including lacking sound absorption. it didn't make it silent but it made a huge difference and only cost me around $25 to do the entire floor. I would also consider checking out the doors as well. Lot of road noise can come from there as well.

I was under the impression he wanted "like to sound insulate the underside" as in outside of the vehicles exterior. Understood him cleaning the carpet

take a good hard look under the passenger side and foot wells for rust and prepare yourself for repairing that too. I have done the peel/stick from home depot, it was cheap and easy to do. it also made the inside heater work much more efficiently.

There was quite a bit of sound deadening material on the floors of my 2000. The spots that would make the biggest improvement are in the back. Pull the left and right side cargo area trim panels and dynamat / whatever product you chose the living daylights out of it.

And get rid of the padding that attracts moisture.

I have used both brands - these are butyl rubber for mass - they kill attenuation of the metal (drum effect) - some folks spend allot of time and money covering 98%. I do about 80% and then cover that with 3/8" 3M closed cell foam. It is also peel & stick and can be cut with scissors ... The foam will block outside noise ... And it's cheap & light too ...

Originally Posted By: horse123
Dynamat is NOT a sound deadener. Any effect you get is nearly 100% placebo. You need mass loaded vinyl and/or closed cell foam to insulate against noise.

That's not right. If you add mass, it's a deadener. Mass, vinyl, and foam all play different roles in sound isolation. Large, thin sections of sheet metal will benefit from SOME deadening, but sealing and blocking are also important. Adding a ton of mass isn't very efficient.

Right - guy at work had a professional job done to a Ram truck - stripped to painted metal and start there ...
Wow - it's like being closed in a hearing test booth ... He paid $2k though ...

I decided not to do it. Too expensive for an old Jeep, and the carpet actually had padding underneath. I wasn't expecting that.

I'll replace a lot of the window rubbers though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back