MEC is now selling RSD fat bikes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was in at Mountain Equipment Co-op yesterday and noticed they're finally carrying fat bikes.

https://www.mec.ca/en/search/?text=fat+bike

The bikes are made by RSD, and look good. All three bikes have 4.8" tires, and disc brakes.

The C$1650 Sheriff I has cable-operated brakes, and lower-end tires.

The C$2000 Sheriff II has hydraulic brakes and better tires.

The C$2500 Sheriff III has hydraulic brakes, better tires, and front suspension (the first I've seen on a fat bike).

There are probably differences in the wheels & running gear as well.

I'm happy with my 4" Pugsley, but if I have to upgrade I'll have to give these a close look.

The RSDs sold by MEC all have aluminum frames, but RSD also sells titanium fat bikes!

Larger air volume in the tires. They ride smooth.

However, larger contact patch, more drag.

The frames on the Sheriff look identical to my 2013 Transition Trans-Am.

Originally Posted By: CKN
Educate me on these bikes. Why does one ride these?

Thanks!
They are great in snow and on ice here (4 - 5 months), eat up the potholes that dot our roads, and are great fun off-road, eating up roots and rocks. I will hang up my mountain bike and switch over to the fatty as soon as the snow falls. It almost makes me look forward to winter!

They have purposes but the heavier wheels and tires are generally slower and harder to ride. They are great downhilling, in sand and snow as they float better but generally harder to ride on flat or uphill grades.

I work with a guy who had a few Moots fat bikes, one is very advanced, the other is what he calls his "Adventure Bike" and has some storage onboard.

He does some very long distance rides 500 mi + off road.

Last edited:
They're fun. They're not made to be fast, obviously. I demoed one, and tested a couple of other ones. My favorite by far is the Specialized Fatboy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back