Submitting A Potentially Tainted Sample

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

I changed my earl this past weekend, saving a sample which I may submit to a company for analysis.

First, could someone briefly summarize the benefits/drawbacks to using Blackstone?

Second, my sample was stored in an old take-out food container. It got a good washing, but we have hard tap water. Before taking the sample, I took some earl from the dipstick and wiped the container down with a paper towel. I'm still concerned that my sample may be contaminated with a few ppm of General Tso's Chicken. Should I be concerned?

Which car and why are you interested in doing a UOA?

Ive used glass jars for collecting samples, but they are pristinely clean. If you are concerned, you may want to reconsider, though Im not sure that food residues would throw off wear metal counts...

Originally Posted By: Donald
First - NAPA has a cheaper and better testing service.

I doubt the container will cause a problem.

We're talking about PPM measurements. Table salt and other minerals will definitely show up in the mass spec.

Just take a sample the next time around. The chemistry of take out is more complex than modern oils, you might get a very concerning report
wink.gif

I feel fairly confident that residual residues from food/wash will not make a material difference.

Thanks Donald, I'll search the forum for NAPA analysis details.

Originally Posted By: KingCake
Originally Posted By: Donald
First - NAPA has a cheaper and better testing service.

I doubt the container will cause a problem.

We're talking about PPM measurements. Table salt and other minerals will definitely show up in the mass spec.

It will not effect the more important metrics like iron or lead or copper.

Originally Posted By: egomolka
I'm still concerned that my sample may be contaminated with a few ppm of General Tso's Chicken. Should I be concerned?

Yeah, I'd be concerned what that stuff does to your body.
smile.gif

Couple of questions:

If you're concerned enough to ask, why do it?

What is "earl"? (I'm not really up on BITOG acronyms, so it could be something techy)

Originally Posted By: Ducked
Couple of questions:

If you're concerned enough to ask, why do it?

What is "earl"? (I'm not really up on BITOG acronyms, so it could be something techy)

"Earl" is how the word "oil" could be said with a southern U.S. accent.

Originally Posted By: BobFout

No no. "Earl" is oil in the northeast, such as New York City. Down south oil is pronounced "awl".

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: BobFout

No no. "Earl" is oil in the northeast, such as New York City. Down south oil is pronounced "awl".

I'm from Louisiana/MS area. Lots of old timers say Earl. Never heard anyone say awl.

Originally Posted By: KingCake
Blackstone has kits. I suggest you get one before the next sample.

Yep that's one advantage of using them, the others are a neat report layout, the availability of universal averages and their comments or SMS service if something is real bad.
Do remember that Backstone are a tad in favour of extending the OCI, so DYOR. I just used one third of the VOA TBN as a limit.

PS: If the plastic can was clean it will be OK, but a glass bottle would be better. Just warn the lab out the use of oil additives like Kentucky fried chicken oil.

Last edited:
I already bought a NAPA kit and will submit it shortly. I simply want to (hopefully) confirm that this earl/engine combo can handle a 13k mile interval. I will do one again next year with the current PP fill to confirm that as well. If all looks good, I'll continue my yearly change in the fall, regardless of mileage.

FWIW - I have submitted samples that were collected in all manner of bottles, Gatoraid, Sweet Tea, Tea with Lemon, Pepsi.... and plain water bottles.

I've never done anything other than rinse them with tap water - sometimes not even that.

I always tell Blackstone, and they have never said anything weird showed up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back