Oil for my 6.7 Powerstroke

Status
Not open for further replies.
I changed the oil in my Powerstroke for the first time since I bought it used. The oil was Motorcraft 10W30 diesel engine oil. This oil change was done by dealer before purchase. I assume it was not synthetic. It was about 7600 miles when the OLM gave me it's 2nd level stern warning to change it. The UOA came back fine with good TBN, low iron and no fuel dillution. I will post it. It now has T6.

Might I get better mileage with 0W30? It needs a 5W40 or 0W40 or 0W30 for the winter temps or block heater.

The engine seemed to do fine on conventional oil at the OLM notification according to the UOA. It's sure to do better with T6 synthetic.

So do I double up on OLM mileage? Stick with T6 or find a high quality 0W30 diesel engine oil.

Highly doubt you will improve your mileage by going with lighter weights. I didn't go that low when I experimented on my 2 7.3's. Faster easier starts, yes. HP loss to oil friction is so low compared to the HP IMO

What 0W-30 is recommended? None of which I am aware. I would stick with any 5W-40 in the winter and switch back to 10W-30 in the summer (if that is what you wish). I have a load of Delo XLE 10W-30 in mine now and have seen zero difference in MPG. I will be running 5W-40 full synthetic year round with perhaps some Kendall 15W-40 SynBlend in the summer if I can find it at a good price.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
What 0W-30 is recommended? None of which I am aware.

MLKb8PJ.png

Originally Posted By: CT8
5W-40 all year.

I think so. TDT 5W40 is a great choice.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam

MLKb8PJ.png

I do not know of any 0W30 diesel rated oil except for maybe Amsoil. But I believe that is what is in the owners manual.

You can get Delo 5W-30 that's CJ4/SN. But it costs a lot. Do you have access to locally made lubricants? We have Klondike here and they make a 0W-40.

Originally Posted By: Donald

MLKb8PJ.png

I do not know of any 0W30 diesel rated oil except for maybe Amsoil. But I believe that is what is in the owners manual.
Correct and that is what I meant. Who makes one? 5W-40 is more than sufficient.

Make sure to use the oil finder or guide page of the engine oil company web site to find out which oil they think is best, then cross check the results with your owners handbook.

My own TDI can use an 0w30, BUT it says in the owners handbook not to use any Xw30 grades above 35c, so you should check to see what your manual says, as there may be a temperature limit.
Most diesels are design spec for an Xw40, but the drive for best fuel economy has some approved for 0w30 oils, even in the EU.

Ahh! Don't think that extending an OCI or ignoring an OLM warning is OK just because you are using a better oil. If your vehicle is out of warranty the only safe way to extend the OCI is with a UOA series.
Contamination of the oil effects a full synthetic just as badly as a conventional base oil and they only last longer if you have an engine that causes high temp shearing. Most of those engines have a hot running turbo or have high reline RPM limits.

PS: There are quite a number of 0w30 oils that are OK in a diesel car, including Edge and Ultra.

Last edited:
As ultrafan made mention, still have to worry about contamination and shearing. I can remember when Ford went to a 14 quart sump from 8 in 92 I think when they installed factory turbos

MLKb8PJ.png

Correct and that is what I meant. Who makes one? 5W-40 is more than sufficient.

dBkbCob.png

I'm in Kentucky, so obviously there's no demand for it to be on the shelf collecting dust. It can however be sourced through the local Chevron marketer (that covers WV and KY).

Why not just stay with 10w-30 as you have already proven through UOA that it did an outstanding job? In my 6.7 I run 10w-30 year round and through UOA data it has shown to be more than suitable for my usage. Currently my truck is at just a couple miles short of 10,000 mi. on this run and just got "change oil soon" message.

I know there is a buffer built into the IOLM, but I have never considered extending a OC. Just because you are spending more money on a synthetic don't think you can extend it any farther than on conventional, those words are in your owners manual.

There are at least three in Canada I can name off the top of my head, plus at least one unicorn, excluding Amsoil. Of course, none of them have Ford's approval, and some aren't even officially CJ-4. At least they don't have to worry about CK-4.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back