Rotella t6 vs mobil1 0w40 in 1000cc triple yamaha

Status
Not open for further replies.
No wet clutch. Just an engine that revs to 11.5k rpm and spends most of its life cruising around 6k.

What do you use? Yamaha specs dino 10w40 at 1600 mile intervals.

I've only ever used either T6 or regular 15w40 T3 in my 2006 R1.

You would have no problems using either oil but i'm Partial to the Rotella myself.

Zn&P is higher in T6, KV100 is a bit higher. T6 has always sheared to nothing in all the UOAs I've seen, and yet the wear numbers did not suffer.

So, T6 > M1.

No other opinions?

Just drained the 10w30 yamalube that was in it out at 211 miles. Looked more yellow than I'm used to.

Filter screen had some metal flake as well as a few hairs, it appears the person assembling was shedding.

Changed the filter with a yamaha filter and filled it all up with 0w40.

First impressions, the engine noise is a little different. Not quieter, not louder, just different. More whine less rattle is how I would describe it.

Gonna do a drain and fill in 400 miles as I drained from the filter and oil tank, not the crankcase.

Still on the fence here because of oil sheer. The motor revs to 10.5k and cruises at 6k.

Yxz1000.

Powersports doesn't get as much attention as here.

It sounds like it needs to be thicker.

1600 mile intervals is what is specced.

Last edited:
Prolly not, but it comes with the oil...

I'd prolly run T6 in that. It can easily handle turbos spinning 100,000 revs, a few runs to 11K will not be much
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno

I'd prolly run T6 in that. It can easily handle turbos spinning 100,000 revs, a few runs to 11K will not be much
laugh.gif

Problem is the Rotella T6 is not very shear stable, not an issue in a diesel automotive engine, but a problem it is not prepared for in a shared sump motorcycle system.

I should mention that this is NOT a shared sump. The transmission and wet clutch has its own oil supply.

The transmission gets yamalube full syn 15w50. The engine oil is where it gets interesting. I was thinking the 0w40 would quiet the motor a bit, but it seems to have had the opposite effect.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein

laugh.gif

Problem is the Rotella T6 is not very shear stable, not an issue in a diesel automotive engine, but a problem it is not prepared for in a shared sump motorcycle system.

I'm sorry, I don't buy that. Rotella T6 is one of a handful of oils approved by Allison for off-road equipment with automatic trannies that share the sump with the engine. You can't get more shear abusive than that and T6 hold up just fine
smile.gif

http://www.allisontransmission.com/parts-service/approved-fluids/off-highway-fluids

Please provide evidence to the contrary?

If there are no clutches and no gears, just an engine, personally I can't immediately see why I wouldn't use a pure engine oil. If I wanted to spend money, I'd run Redline's automotive 10W30 or maybe an xW40, or I'd run Renewable Lube's 5W40HD or something like that. If I didn't want to spend money I'd pick something else, but I'd save the cash involved in 'motorcycle' oils and run an automotive type (to include the all-fleet oils).

...that's what we are talking about.

A shear stable auto oil capable of running 1600 miles in a fairly high revving app.

Don't worry about shear in a non-shared sump... I still would use T6 or TTT (good, quality oils on the cheap). If you want to stick to 10W-40, M1 has a 4T oil. You could buy Motul 300V is you want to lightening your wallet.

As far as weight, any thoughts? We get very hot down here and this thing will run 6000+ rpm for an hour or more. That's with a decent load on it.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein

laugh.gif

I'm sorry, I don't buy that. Rotella T6 is one of a handful of oils approved by Allison for off-road equipment with automatic trannies that share the sump with the engine. You can't get more shear abusive than that and T6 hold up just fine
smile.gif

http://www.allisontransmission.com/parts-service/approved-fluids/off-highway-fluids

Please provide evidence to the contrary?

Go to the UOA portion of this site and look at the reports of it being used in bikes with shared sumps. T6 shears. End of story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back