Cummins new X15 engine oil viscosity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depending on load/fuel consumption, change interval can be up to 80K miles. I don't know if it a claim or test results, I saw 8.4 MPG with a 66K load.

Is this new engine specced for 15W30?

Last edited:
No. 15w-30 was an attempt to fill a perceived niche in the marketplace; it's not an OEM spec. 10w-30 is what the X15 calls for...

"FA-4 introduces a high temperature, high shear viscosity of 2.9-3.2cP compared with the previous standard of the CJ-4 and now the CK-4, which is 3.5. The lower the viscosity of the oil, the less drag there is on the oil and that gives us an opportunity for improvement in fuel economy,” explained Tim Proctor, technical leader of heavy-duty engineering for Cummins Inc. “The one thing that’s important to note is for large fleets is that it’s going to be a period of transition as this new oil becomes available. [Adoption] is dependent on product capability and some manufacturers are going to initially shy away from trying to measure both oil rates in different trucks. And it’s also going to depend on how OEMs decide to factory fill their trucks.”

For the Cummins 2017 X15 engine offering, FA-4 oils will provide an added fuel economy benefit; however, the standard recommendation will be CK-4, due in part to the engine’s 2017 emissions certification. “We didn’t want to lean on the small fuel economy benefit you get from FA-4 and include that in our greenhouse gas certification,” Proctor explained. “We deliberately certified with the CK-4, and that means there’s no issue with the greenhouse gas certification if an OEM decides it’s going to do a first fill with CK-4 or if a fleet wants to run that as standard. We’re completely compatible with 10W-30 oils in the FA-4 and CK-4 standards, and we continue to work on the 5W oils in both categories.”

P.S. - https://go.chevronlubricants.com/rs/494-SKC-981/images/Delo_400_HDMO_Product_Transition_Brochure.pdf

All the heavy commercial engine OEM's have been factory filling with 10w30 for a few years now. Cummins, Detroit, Volvo/Mack, Paccar, all of them.

The FA-4 engines will not be out till 2017. All are on CJ-4 now and the ones already at work will only be allowed to use the new CK-4. Even then, the 2017 X15 will be in two varieties... the performance X15 and the efficient X15. How that plays out on which oil gets recommended, we'll have to wait and see. But I would suspect that they would still recommend CK-4 across the board. CK-4 can be used even in the FA-4 engines and would probably be what I would chose irregardless of OEM recommendation.

I never take OEM recommended drain intervals at face value on my commercial stuff. I always use it as a reference point, but develop my own particular intervals based on trend lines in used oil samples.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back