PUPPP 10W-30 3155 mi 2011 Honda CR-Z

Status
Not open for further replies.
This sample was taken after a mix of street and track driving. Approximately 150 of the total miles are from HPDE sessions at Barber Motorsports park.

2bS8CcS.jpg

Last edited:
Hope this oil wasn't drained. Looks like it is ready for another 6K at least.

I apologize for my first post. I didn't mean to just submit a picture.

This sample was taken after a mix of street and track driving. Approximately 150 of the total miles are from HPDE sessions at Barber Motorsports park. I wanted to try and get an idea of how abusive track days are on the engine and how long the oil can be run. The car has a thermostatically controlled 19 row oil cooler and runs at about 230F on the track.

With no more track days, colder weather, and an 8 min commute with a start/stop engine, the oil was drained and refilled with Castrol Edge in the specified viscosity (0W-20).

Looks good although it seems to be a low ash (Low Zinc based additives) oil, so I would question if this is the correct API or Acea spec oil.

3000 is a very short OCI, so I would try 6000 miles next.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: UltrafanUK
Looks good although it seems to be a low ash (Low Zinc based additives) oil, so I would question if this is the correct API or Acea spec oil.

I was surprised by how little zinc and phosphorus the oil contained, too. I just checked the old jug, and it says that it meets API SN and ACEA A5/B5, A1/B1.

I agree that 3,000 miles is short, but there's almost no information of how these engines do on the track, and I didn't like the idea of a start-stop engine with a short commute going through the winter on a 10W-30 oil.

Do you think that 6,000 miles would be ok, even if the car went to 3 track weekends, in that period? That would put it at about 170 miles at the National Corvette Museum, 230 miles at Memphis International raceway, and 190 miles at Barber Motorsports Park. The National Corvette Museum and Barber are more momentum based and only use about a half of a tank per day, while Memphis International Raceway relies heavily on the engine and consumes about one and a half tanks of fuel per day.

Originally Posted By: CT8
How cold does it get in Texas? Below 0*F?

The area of Tennessee that I'm in only has one or two mornings that are 10-15F. The lows for the coldest months of the year are usually in the mid to upper 20s.

An 0w30 full synthetic would make more sense during the winter and 3 track weekends will not kill the oil. Oddly enough it should help get rid of any fuel contamination caused by short tripping or too much idle time.

I really can't see why a 5 or 6K mile OCI would not be good for the engine, short OCI's in good engines often increase rather than decrease wear rates. Just see what the Iron per mile is at the longer OCI is comparison with the 3K one.

Originally Posted By: HX520W
Originally Posted By: CT8
How cold does it get in Texas? Below 0*F?

The area of Tennessee that I'm in only has one or two mornings that are 10-15F. The lows for the coldest months of the year are usually in the mid to upper 20s.
Yeah Tennessee. I am a caboose !!!

Originally Posted By: HX520W
Originally Posted By: UltrafanUK

I was surprised by how little zinc and phosphorus the oil contained, too. I just checked the old jug, and it says that it meets API SN and ACEA A5/B5, A1/B1.

I agree that 3,000 miles is short, but there's almost no information of how these engines do on the track, and I didn't like the idea of a start-stop engine with a short commute going through the winter on a 10W-30 oil.

Do you think that 6,000 miles would be ok, even if the car went to 3 track weekends, in that period? That would put it at about 170 miles at the National Corvette Museum, 230 miles at Memphis International raceway, and 190 miles at Barber Motorsports Park. The National Corvette Museum and Barber are more momentum based and only use about a half of a tank per day, while Memphis International Raceway relies heavily on the engine and consumes about one and a half tanks of fuel per day.

You could easily run that PP 10w30 year round and just do annual changes or 7500 whichever comes first, even with track days.

Barber is a fun track. The vintage motorcycle show in the fall is always a blast.

Originally Posted By: jayg
You could easily run that PP 10w30 year round and just do annual changes or 7500 whichever comes first, even with track days.

Barber is a fun track. The vintage motorcycle show in the fall is always a blast.

Thanks for the input. I guess that I've always thought that track use is harder on oil than it actually is. I decided to try 10W-30 on the track, and figured it couldn't hurt because 5W-30 is specced in Europe. I was originally considering 0W-40 but thought that might be thicker than nessesary now that the car has an oil cooler. From what I can tell from this first uoa, the 10W-30 did just fine but I'm not experienced in reading the data. What are your thoughts on a 0W-40?

Barber is a fantastic facility. I was freaking out in the museum when the Porsche Driving School cars rolled through turn nine!

If you want to know which viscosity to use for a car that is subject to redlining, just look at the Liqui Moly site in Germany: www.liqui-moly.de and check the oil finder page. Redline is common on German autobahns, in fact it caused Jaguar to reduce the OCI of one of their new cars due to high temp shearing issues.

Thanks for the link. Liqui Moly recommends 5W-30 and 0W-30 in both high and low HTHS viscosities for the CR-Z.

I did some more digging and interestingly, the Mazda MX-5 Cup Cars run both high HTHS Castrol Edge 0W-30 and oil coolers, even though the owners manual in North America says to use 0W-20 for all temperatures. I'm considering trying something similar in the Honda because the car has a CVT and holds the engine at redline nearly the entire time on the track.

mDNV42H.png

4g0IftI.png

It's always amazing to me how well wearing Honda engines are, even when you track them for 150 miles you get 6 iron lol. Nice report.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back