Power Steering UOA - 03 GS430, Mobil 1 ATF, 16K mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wasn't even sure which group to post this one in, I have never done a Power Steering UOA before.

So here is the deal: I took my 2003 Lexus GS430 in to have brakes done. My son has a good friend he trusts for automotive work. He works for a Honda dealer, and is actually allowed to work on friends' cars using the dealer facilities.

Anyway, in addition to the brake work, he gave the vehicle a general inspection. He stated "Your power steering fluid is black. It needs to be changed". I told him to just do the brake work and I would take care of the power steering fluid myself. Looking at the fluid through the reservoir, it does look pretty dark; but when I pulled the top (with little built-in plastic dipstick) and put some drops on a paper towel, it wasn't that bad! It was reddish brown.

I told my son that these mechanics are taught to automatically recommend fluid replacement if the fluid is not perfectly red, as these sorts of services are a money maker. However, to prove to my son that his mechanic friend is a bit overzealous, I told him I would have the fluid analyzed. He bet me $10 the analysis would come out as being bad. The fluid in this UOA was previously changed about 3 years ago, and has about 16K miles on it. So: Do I owe my son $10? Obviously copper is up there, but I have no idea if this is normal or not.

What is the consensus of the forum?

I dont think you can prove the copper has any relevance and can prove any type of wear. While not overly accurate, most people never change PS fluid ever, and never have issues..
I change mine once per year, I just attach hose and turn wheel.. it flushes out old fluid and new fluid in. 3 years and 16k is nothing.. I would warrant to say the fluid is easily still good. Does the owners manual advise if or when to change the power steering fluid?

My take.. is that your son owes you 10$ since it was a waste of money.. done 3 years ago.. I would say its still good.. My dad has the original fluid in his 98 legacy and still no issues... so...

I guess I misread this... but.. I just saw, "Your power steering fluid is black. It needs to be changed". If it is cloudy or muddy looking, I would in fact get it changed... my fluid was changed a year ago and is still red...

I wouldnt pay anyone to do this service however, considering how easy this is to do yourself with 1 qt of ATF.

Last edited:
The owner's manual does not say anything at all about changing power steering fluid.

Although the fluid was redish-brown instead of fully red, the fact that total solids are zero, TAN is normal, viscosity is normal, and there is no sign of water, that the fluid is not contaminated. Perhaps the brownish-hue is coming from all that copper...

I dont see why this kid would go out of his way to up sell a service on his friends parents car. He most likely just looked in the reservoir and saw it was dark. Whats cheaper, fluid or power steering? I personally don't see why you think he was out to sell the service. To me it sounds like he was volunteering his time to work on you car and save you money in the long run...

Originally Posted By: FordBroncoVWJeta
I dont see why this kid would go out of his way to up sell a service on his friends parents car. He most likely just looked in the reservoir and saw it was dark. Whats cheaper, fluid or power steering? I personally don't see why you think he was out to sell the service. To me it sounds like he was volunteering his time to work on you car and save you money in the long run...

thumbsup2.gif

I think the young mechanic was simply trying to cover all the bases and do you a favor.

Not everyone is "out-to-get" us.

Last edited:
Thank you for posting this, I find it very interesting.
I suspect most of the copper is coming from the power steering cooler, but it is only a guess.

I change mine every 2-3 years just because of how easy it is to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back