Factory Tires and Warranty

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've done a lot of searching on this topic, but did not really find my answer, so I thought it would be best to start a new thread.

We have a 2015 MDX with around ~21,000 miles and the tread on the factory Michelin tires (Latitudes) is already pretty low (~4/32 to 6/32). I've had them rotated every 6,000 miles or so at the dealer and they are wearing evenly on all the tires.

I doubt they will make it to 30,000 miles and they are a 55,000 mile tire. Where would be the best place to go regarding a warranty claim (if you can file a claim for factory tires)? I plan on purchasing another set of Michelin tires for replacement (most likely the Premiers), since they are pretty expensive, so it would be good to apply the warranty discount to the next set.

Would DTD be a good place? The dealer? Or some place else?

Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

One time we had to warranty an OE tire was on a Toyo A05. Called Toyo and they handled. The tire plus the other three aged out with tread at 77k or so.

I had a sidewall bubble on an OE dunlop RFT on my 135i. Took it to a goodyear corporate store and they handled it. I was itching to dump the rft tires so did it right at the 6 year mark with 15k and >>50% tread.

The mileage warranty gotcha is they are supposed to be worn evenly to 2/32 tread..

with our rutted bad roads here that could be taking your life into your hands in Rain let alone snow.

Also tires are much more vulnerable to road trash as they get near bald.

DTD wont warranty tires that is their mail order business.

You would need to go to a DT location.

Originally Posted By: Rand
The mileage warranty gotcha is they are supposed to be worn evenly to 2/32 tread..

with our rutted bad roads here that could be taking your life into your hands in Rain let alone snow.

Sorry, yes, I meant a DT location. I would buy the new tires from them and apply the warranty claim at the same time.

Originally Posted By: kjbock
I've done a lot of searching on this topic, but did not really find my answer, so I thought it would be best to start a new thread.

We have a 2015 MDX with around ~21,000 miles and the tread on the factory Michelin tires (Latitudes) is already pretty low (~4/32 to 6/32). I've had them rotated every 6,000 miles or so at the dealer and they are wearing evenly on all the tires.

I doubt they will make it to 30,000 miles and they are a 55,000 mile tire. Where would be the best place to go regarding a warranty claim (if you can file a claim for factory tires)? I plan on purchasing another set of Michelin tires for replacement (most likely the Premiers), since they are pretty expensive, so it would be good to apply the warranty discount to the next set.

Would DTD be a good place? The dealer? Or some place else?

Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

DTD will not help on something they didn't sell to you.

Tires from the factory are not covered by Acura, they are covered by the manufacturer of the tire, which in your case, Michelin. ANd it's probably going to be pro-rated also.

Wouldn't that fail inspection in most states??

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
One time we had to warranty an OE tire was on a Toyo A05. Called Toyo and they handled. The tire plus the other three aged out with tread at 77k or so.

I had a sidewall bubble on an OE dunlop RFT on my 135i. Took it to a goodyear corporate store and they handled it. I was itching to dump the rft tires so did it right at the 6 year mark with 15k and >>50% tread.

So you would recommend just calling Michelin directly then and see what they say? Did Toyo direct you to a dealer to replace the tire?

Originally Posted By: 6starprez
That's strange since your tires are wearing evenly. Has the alignment been checked? Subaru does one free within the new car warranty.

No, have not had the alignment done, but the tires are showing no abnormal wear. No pulling or drifting when driving either.

Discount Tire WILL help get an adjustment price on new tires if they sell the brand tire that are being replaced. They will get an OK from the tire manufacturer to make an adjustment and sell you the new tires at the new price.

I do think though that you have to be at the minimum thread and be under the miles that the tires are warrantied for.

Maybe every auto manufacturer is different but I thought that in general wear items, like tires are either not covered or are only covered during the bumper to bumper coverage. And generally only for defects, not wear. For example this is the case for my GMC Sierra. Warranty booklet is very explicit that wear is not covered for tires. Only defects.

Also, I have never seen a mileage rating for an OEM tire (OEM tire is not the same tire that is on the shelf at the tire store).

The mileage warranty claim is more trouble than it's worth anyway, unless you really want to run your tires for another 10kmi just to get to 2/32's to even try and make a claim. Never even worried about it much with any tire, due to so many variables. When they get to a certain point, like it or not, I just buy new ones, and keep rolling. I've known people that have tried to make a warranty claim when their tires are half worn thinking they won't make it to the rated mileage. It doesn't work that way. Yours might make it longer than you think, because they wear slower later in life.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nate1979
Maybe every auto manufacturer is different but I thought that in general wear items, like tires are either not covered or are only covered during the bumper to bumper coverage. And generally only for defects, not wear. For example this is the case for my GMC Sierra. Warranty booklet is very explicit that wear is not covered for tires. Only defects.

Also, I have never seen a mileage rating for an OEM tire (OEM tire is not the same tire that is on the shelf at the tire store).

See the link above. The OEM tires are covered under warranty by Michelin.

Originally Posted By: Doog
I had a set of Michelin energy tires get 18,000 miles on my 2012 Avalon. Toyota bought me a new set.

Our 2011 Camry came with 2 years free service and a free set of tires for when the first set wore out. The Energies made it 30k, as did the Primacies (well, 40k but we ran 'em bald). Part of the sales deal they were doing that at the time (free service, free first set of tires). I figured it was their way of "apologizing" for crummy tires. No idea if they are still doing that.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi

Wouldn't that fail inspection in most states??

In Maine the standard is "Less than 2/32" tread in four or more grooves or any cord showing." This is misinterpreted by nearly everybody. Usually by showing someone a tire shoulder, with the cuts not as deep as the circumferential tread, as "bald" and failing.

Originally Posted By: kjbock
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

So you would recommend just calling Michelin directly then and see what they say? Did Toyo direct you to a dealer to replace the tire?

The Toyo one was in 1994. They sent a tire to the dealership.

The BMW one was only about two years ago...

Does Michelin have corporate stores?

Originally Posted By: Traction
The mileage warranty claim is more trouble than it's worth anyway, unless you really want to run your tires for another 10kmi just to get to 2/32's to even try and make a claim. Never even worried about it much with any tire, due to so many variables. When they get to a certain point, like it or not, I just buy new ones, and keep rolling. I've known people that have tried to make a warranty claim when their tires are half worn thinking they won't make it to the rated mileage. It doesn't work that way. Yours might make it longer than you think, because they wear slower later in life.

Have to agree with this.
Once you get down to around 4/32, wet grip is pretty well gone through even a film of water and you can forget about trying to drive in actual snow.
Unless one lives in a dry area that never sees anything like actual winter, it's neither safe nor practical to run tires until they're actually worn out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back