ACEA A3/B3 Oil in 2010 Acura MDX?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: nZone
Originally Posted By: artbuc
Starting to burn some oil, 1qt in 4.5k miles. Fortunately not nearly as bad as many 2010 X's but it will probably get worse. On another forum, someone said this heavier Euro spec oil is required to minimize oil consumption. My concern is getting adequate lubrication in my 3.7L engine designed for 5W-20 oil. Any opinions? Thanks.

Once it starts burning oil, it will only get worse for these J37. Castrol Germany recommends 0W-40. China MDX recommends 5W-30, 0W-30/0W-40/5W-40 alternative. Acura/Honda is aggressive recommending 5W-20 grade for the MDX or the J37. Notice how Acura revised their oil viscosity chart to allow 0W-20 for other models except the J37.

My '11 MDX was burning 1Quart/1200 miles with PUPPP 5W-20. I'm currently using QSUD 5W-30. Now, I'm getting about 1quart/2000 miles. My next oil change will be CG 0W-40. Your MDX will love you for feeding it with 5W-30.

Lots of discussion about this on X forums. Honda issued a service bulletin last summer acknowledging problem and promised guidance. Couple weeks ago they issued another statement saying they are still working on it with another promise of imminent guidance. Either Honda does not know or does not want to disclose the cause and have not decided on best way to mitigate losses.

Lots of discussion about this on X forums. Honda issued a service bulletin last summer acknowledging problem and promised guidance. Couple weeks ago they issued another statement saying they are still working on it with another promise of imminent guidance. Either Honda does not know or does not want to disclose the cause and have not decided on best way to mitigate losses.

Or Honda drags their feet long enough so the powertrain warranty expired. Heck, mine is already expired. Whatever they came up with for the fix, I will be on the hook for the repair bill.

Originally Posted By: TXCarGeek
^
What about A3/B3 oils? That's what the OP was asking about originally.

There isn't much difference tbh, b4 covers DI where B3 doesn't but otherwise they're largely the same.

ACEA A1/B1 Stable, stay-in-grade oil intended for use at extended drain intervals in gasoline engines and car & light van diesel engines specifically designed to be capable of using low friction low viscosity oils with a high temperature / high shear rate viscosity of 2.6 mPa*s for xW/20 and 2.9 to 3.5 mPa.s for all other viscosity grades. These oils are unsuitable for use in some engines. Consult owner manual or handbook if in doubt.

ACEA A3/B3 Stable, stay-in-grade oil intended for use in high performance gasoline engines and car & light van diesel engines and/or for extended drain intervals where specified by the engine manufacturer, and/or for year-round use of low viscosity oils, and/or for severe operating conditions as defined by the engine manufacturer.

ACEA A3/B4 Stable, stay-in-grade oil intended for use in high performance gasoline and direct injection diesel engines, but also suitable for applications described under A3/B3.

Yes go A3/B4 style 30 grade. Don't worry about start up lubrication, it will not be an issue at all.

1 quart for 4500 miles is not bad either. That's over 7000kms so I wouldn't consider it bad. If you did top up, I'd go the whole 6000 miles/10,000kms as the added oil will replenish the TBN somewhat.

Try go with the thicker oil though. Would love to see if it lessens. Also check PCV/CCV or whatever it's called on a Honda. I think mine was blocked recently and I saw a pool of oil around the valve cover where the PCV valve was. Lost about 1/2 quart in 3500 kms, which is similar to your loss rate.

Originally Posted By: Olas
Originally Posted By: TXCarGeek
^
What about A3/B3 oils? That's what the OP was asking about originally.

There isn't much difference tbh, b4 covers DI where B3 doesn't but otherwise they're largely the same.

ACEA A1/B1 Stable, stay-in-grade oil intended for use at extended drain intervals in gasoline engines and car & light van diesel engines specifically designed to be capable of using low friction low viscosity oils with a high temperature / high shear rate viscosity of 2.6 mPa*s for xW/20 and 2.9 to 3.5 mPa.s for all other viscosity grades. These oils are unsuitable for use in some engines. Consult owner manual or handbook if in doubt.

ACEA A3/B3 Stable, stay-in-grade oil intended for use in high performance gasoline engines and car & light van diesel engines and/or for extended drain intervals where specified by the engine manufacturer, and/or for year-round use of low viscosity oils, and/or for severe operating conditions as defined by the engine manufacturer.

ACEA A3/B4 Stable, stay-in-grade oil intended for use in high performance gasoline and direct injection diesel engines, but also suitable for applications described under A3/B3.

Good info...thanks!

Starting to burn some oil, 1qt in 4.5k miles. Fortunately not nearly as bad as many 2010 X's but it will probably get worse. On another forum, someone said this heavier Euro spec oil is required to minimize oil consumption. My concern is getting adequate lubrication in my 3.7L engine designed for 5W-20 oil. Any opinions? Thanks.

Try one 5w/30 High mileage oil.

My TL with 3.7 same issue oil consumption after 3000 KM. I have been looking for Acura 5w20 Synthetic oil properties any clue where I can get that info. Called Honda canada customer relation oh God what a pain to talk to the CSR. She was asking why I need to know that info all I need to know is my TL needs 5w20. Few folks mentioned lot of the bottled oil are from Idemitsu which is true based on the old oil bottles but the new ones have changed so wondering who makes the oil now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back