Got hit by a truck today

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was stopped behind the white line at a stop sign. A pick up turned left cutting into my lane. Luckily I was side swiped and not run over. Glad I live in Canada... an ambulance was there in five minutes, along with a fire truck. I had x rays done quickly at the hospital and I was out after an hour and a half. Ended up with severe bruising where the truck hit me but nothing broken. By the time I am good to ride though, the snow will be flying. Looking forward to spring already as I recuperate. I have to take a look at my bike next week when I can walk a little better.

Last edited:
Sorry about your luck. Thank the man upstairs you're still alive sir
smile.gif

So you think if this happened in the U.S., the wambulance would have taken longer to get to you? The distance you are from the fire station plays a big factor here.

Only in the US he probably would have had an ambulance chaser ready to sue.
I agree that the accident scenes distance has a lot to do with the service. Retired firefighter.
Good luck with healing and getting the bike back together.

Please don't get me wrong my American friends. I totally agree that the distance from the ambulance station determines the time for it to get to the accident site. Our Canadian health care system is getting a bad rap in the States these days. I did not have to pay for the ambulance, x rays, doctor or hospital stay. I did not even have any ID on me at the time let alone my health card. It was a seamless, caring experience. Thank you for the kind words.

Originally Posted By: cb450sc
Please don't get me wrong my American friends. I totally agree that the distance from the ambulance station determines the time for it to get to the accident site. Our Canadian health care system is getting a bad rap in the States these days. I did not have to pay for the ambulance, x rays, doctor or hospital stay. I did not even have any ID on me at the time let alone my health card. It was a seamless, caring experience. Thank you for the kind words.

Just check on how many taxes you pay vs. similar circumstance in US and then tell me you didn't have to pay.

Federal income tax
Provincial income tax
Employment insurance income deduction
Canada Pension plan deduction
Property taxes
Other municipal fees such as sewage fees
HST (Harmonized Sales Tax on just about everything)
Gasoline taxes that double the cost of fuel in Canada vs. US
4.3 cents a liter carbon tax in Ontario, (Jan 2017),
Electrical rates that are mostly fees
Doubled electrical rates in the past 5 years (yes a green tax)
Tire recycling fee
Electronics recycling fees (collected now even if the TV latest 10 years)
Driveclean smog check
High Occupancy vehicle lanes can be used if you want to pay more as a single driver
Car license fees that doubled in 3 years.

I estimate we are lucky if we get to spend 35% of our gross income on our choice of items after taxes.

And you paid nothing for the health care - really???

Originally Posted By: Danno

Just check on how many taxes you pay vs. similar circumstance in US and then tell me you didn't have to pay.

Federal income tax
Provincial income tax
Property taxes
Tire recycling fee
Driveclean smog check
High Occupancy vehicle lanes can be used if you want to pay more as a single driver

I estimate we are lucky if we get to spend 35% of our gross income on our choice of items after taxes.

They have him convinced it was free, everybody works for nothing.

The most important thing is that you are ok..I don't know the laws in Canada but here you will receive lots of letters from Lawyers looking to sue for you...It's almost comical...My wife and i were in a small fender bender and it was the other drivers fault and so many Lawyers sent us letters. My wife knew some of them because she is a Lawyer also but we are not the type to sue anyway.The other driver was a young girl and we did not report it instead her uncle owned a body shop and fixed the car and detailed it for nothing. Main thing is everyone was ok.

Federal income tax
Provincial income tax
Property taxes
Tire recycling fee
Driveclean smog check

Do you REALLY think he would have had a better health care experience in the US with a private insurer? Really???? Do you use health insurance much, especially in emergency situations? Because it doesn't sound like it.

Federal income tax
Provincial income tax
Property taxes
Tire recycling fee
Driveclean smog check

Dano, you and your entire family will never have to worry about health care no matter what issues you will have from the cradle to your grave. Is that peace of mind worth anything to you?

Of course we all pay for the health care one way or other. In any good health care system the healthy majority subsidise the ill minority. Even with the recent rise in license fees I still pay half of what my friend in Michigan pays for his tags. I could pick apart many on your list, but I dont have time or even care. Fuel prices in Canada when you compare after exchange rates are 20% more than in the US, same as then have been for 50 years. (but our federal Govt doesn't own 20 trillion either) However, when you compare to the rest of the world, or costs are dirt cheap.

That being said, why does someone like Kathleen Wynn get elected after the Liberal Gas plant scandal? If you keep voting people like her please dont complain about tax rates!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dlayman

Federal income tax
Provincial income tax
Property taxes
Tire recycling fee
Driveclean smog check

Do you REALLY think he would have had a better health care experience in the US with a private insurer? Really???? Do you use health insurance much, especially in emergency situations? Because it doesn't sound like it.

Pretty sure I didn't say US healthcare was better vs CDN health care. Just calling out it is not "free" as is the common perception in Canada.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream

Dano, you and your entire family will never have to worry about health care no matter what issues you will have from the cradle to your grave. Is that peace of mind worth anything to you?

Of course we all pay for the health care one way or other. In any good health care system the healthy majority subsidise the ill minority. Even with the recent rise in license fees I still pay half of what my friend in Michigan pays for his tags. I could pick apart many on your list, but I dont have time or even care. Fuel prices in Canada when you compare after exchange rates are 20% more than in the US, same as then have been for 50 years. (but our federal Govt doesn't own 20 trillion either) However, when you compare to the rest of the world, or costs are dirt cheap.

That being said, why does someone like Kathleen Wynn get elected after the Liberal Gas plant scandal? If you keep voting people like her please dont complain about tax rates!

Just a point that a lot is not covered. If you are lucky enough to be employed by a company (or gov't) with benefits, then you have the benefit of better hospital coverage, drug coverage, dental coverage and eye health coverage.
The standard health care is not comprehensive, otherwise we wouldn't have companies like Manulife or Blue Cross selling extra health care coverage.
As for gas prices, this morning, Windsor lowest price was $0.919 per liter, Detroit was $1.79 per gallon. Equivalent for US gallon is $3.48. Take 75% exchange rate = $2.61. $2.61 divided by $1.79 = 45.8% higher pricing in Canada.
And I hardly voted for wynn and her cohorts of cr@@ks. Can't believe the GTA keeps voting them in.

Danno, I had a poor choice of words. I should have said that I did not have any outlay of cash. Of course I realize that it is not free and that I pay for it through my taxes.

Thanks to Almighty first, and others who helped! The main risk to the cyclists is the pick-ups/trucks/tank lorries, though it's claimed that cycling is unsafe! Why people don't understand that carelessness of the man driving a truck or identical vehicles is the key issue instead?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back